Gluing fabric to wood

I want to line some walnut boxes with green or red felt. What's the best way to do this? Would regular titebond glue work ok or should I look for something else?

Thanx,

Vic Baron

Reply to
Vic Baron

Sweet Sawdust

white glue. thin it down a little and apply it with a brush. let the first coat dry. lay the felt down in the second coat and press it into place with the back of a spoon or similar. Bridger

Reply to
nospam

Reply to
Gene T

Whatever you use, make a test first. Most glues will stick the felt down, but some may have problems with visible soak-through.

I use a contact adhesive (Evostick 528), applied to the box only and allowed to go tacky. For high-quality work, or most leather, I might use rabbit skin glue, used hot.

Andy Dingley

Well, last year I made a few jewelry boxes for family members and lined the drawers with felt. I went to HD and got some Elmer's in a spray can. No bleed through and it's still stuck to the drawers. Only bad thing, it sets up pretty quick.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

I saw some felt at Walmart with a sticky backing. I saw only white. Check it out and try the craft stores too, they might have lots more colors. Good luck. Joe

Reply to
kb8qlr

Any crafts store will have felt with a peel and stick backing, and it is by far the best choice. You can cut and test fit with the backing in place. But two things need to be pointed out: The felt has a habit of stretching if handled roughly, which would mean trimming after the felt is in place, The stick part is just that.....very sticky. It hold pretty good with casual contact, so be very careful with placement after peeling. I have seen it in over ten different colors.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:34:03 -0600, "Sweet Sawdust" brought forth from the murky depths:

glue choice chart

-------------------------------------------------------------------- I sent in my $5, so *

why haven't I been 'saved'? * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

gluing. >>Real good open time, easy to make corrections in the placement of

I keep reading everything in reply. I need to find a new news server.

Anyway, I want to chip in my me too here. It's *great* stuff for this kind of thing. I use it for sticking velvet to shellac-covered wood, and it really does the trick.

The only problem is bleed-through. Little, widely spaced dots work best for avoiding this. Easy does it. Don't press too hard.

Reply to
Silvan

Thanx for all the info. I'll check out the self adhesive for future projects but I already have the felt purchased for this one. I'll test a few methods and see what works best. Main concern is bleed through and setup time. I ain't as quick as I used to be .

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

You can also try some wallpaper paste