Glue for MDF Bench top

Since I have never worked with MDF before and am planning on laminating several sheets of 3/4" MDF together for a bench top. What glue should one use for this application?
I just did this very thing and I used Titebond II. I applied it with a short nap paint roller and it worked just fine.
Mike
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Mike,
What purpose would gluing the MDF sheets together serve? Any white or yellow woodworking glue would work but consider that you will most likely be putting something on top of the MDF to provide a harder, more durable work surface like tempered hardboard.
Screw the hardboard down to the MDF using 3" screws but be sure to pre-drill pilot holes and countersink for the screw heads. If you have a frame that has cross-bracing, you may want to screw the MDF to those first, then apply the top. Screwing the MDF down in the center will help reduce "bounce" that you get from benches that aren't heavy and made from dense material - like maple or other hardwoods typically used in traditional benches.
If you're going to apply a hardwood edge to the edges of the MDF, one good method is to drill 3/8" diameter holes at least 1 " deep into the MDF and then glue in some 3/8" dowels. Pre-drill some pilot holes and then fasten the hardboard edging. Simple matter to unscrew it and replace it if needed. Otherwise you can pre-treat the MDF with a glue wash (50/50) mixture of wood glue and water. Apply it to the edges and let it dry. After it's dry you can then glue the hardwood edging to the MDF and maybe use a few brads to hold it in place while the glue sets or clamp it down if you have large enough clamps.
Be sure to seal the MDF (all around) so moisture doesn't cause it to warp and be sure your frame is flat and true or any errors will be telegraphed to the top and you will not have a true surface to work on.
Bob S.

Bob S. wrote:

1. Glue will make a stiffer top than a bunch of screws will.
2. It's evil to put metal in a bench top that might get drilled for bench dogs at a later date. Double sided tape is a better way to hold a hardboard top in place.

MDF is considerably denser than maple. It also has higher hysterisis, so more internal damping = less bounce. A thick glued-up mdf surface is very "dead".
Rico
and I did mine with the solvent based (which I just used about an hour ago on another project) Weldwood (Dap) Contact Cement. I used a roller and applied 2 coats to MDF. It soaks up the first coat and won't bond unless you give it another coat (coat BOTH pieces, of course!).
I always wear a respirator and then the fumes don't "get me".
dave
Mike wrote:

On 11 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

Gesundheit.
I've done this several times, moved and needed a new bench in a new shop. I just used yellow woodworking glue. Spread it with an old paintbrush, or a roller. I use three layers, makes a nice 2 1/4" top, really heavy and durable for hard work on car parts or metalworking, usable for woodworking. I now have a separate woodworking bench with glued up maple top, but a small bench with the glued MDF so crude work does not mess up the good top. Bob Wilson

Guys,
Many thanks for the ideas, it sounds like good ol yeller is the way to go!!
Mike