glue bottles

I just spent 10 minutes for the umpteenth time getting the dried glue out of the slightly-too-clever-for-it's-own-good cap of a bottle of titebond 2. it's pretty good when new, but after a few refills and cleanings it gets pretty mangled. the more mangled it gets the quicker it gets gunked up.

yeah, I know, go buy another bottle of glue. I don't wanna. thing is, it's not all that great for a glue bottle. it's OK in use and it's nice that the lid doesn't get lost, but the service life is too short. it's _always_ the cap that fails in my shop.

thinking about the resturant ketchup squeeze bottles. seems like the same kind of plastic, but built a little stouter and with a simpler spout. pretty cheap, too- half a buck or so from the resturant supply. anybody using these? something else? got a favorite?

Reply to
bridger

I just use the glue bottle (500ml) and then purchase another when that is empty. That being said, if I purchased my glue in bulk, I'd be using the "Ketchup" sauce bottles. Many cabinet shops that I worked for used them and I used them when I had my own Business. Easy to refill - Large Neck Soft enough to squeeze Have good tip (you can alter the size by where you cut it) Cheap

You may have to try a couple of brands before coming across one that you like. The biggest fault with some of the cheapy's is that the lid may pop of.

Hope this helps a bit regards John

Reply to
John B

Mustard, Plotchman's salad style. Tom

Reply to
tom

I use the school sized elmers bottle and refill when needed. It's small enough to carry in my tool belt. The tip stays cleaned out pretty well and when it gets worn out I spend 49 cents on another.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Mike O. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sometimes you can take the cap from the Elmer's and put it on another type of glue bottle...

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

My Titebond caps never seem to get mangled - the clear bit pulls off without mangling and I can clean it easily. How brutal are you being to the thing when you try to dismantle it?

It's probably my favourite design of glue bottle. Much better than the various other sorts of "peg in hole" caps on the others.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I liked the new Titebond design initially. I did observe that the glue would build up overtime. I then started to wash the top after each use. I later decided to use smaller bottles, but still wash the top after each use.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke

I just bought on of these bottles. So far I like it. I don't have to turn the bottle over and wait for the glue to run out.

Bigpole

Snip

I posted these instructions for Swingman the other day when he was trying to understand the instructions that came with his glue bottle. I could not resist reposting them again for you. LOL

I am the owner of a tool. Importance is placed during the time of cleaning with care. Glue liquids will harden and require effort for removal on the wheel. When need for tool has expired clean completely with cleaning materials.

;~)

Reply to
Leon

snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Glu-Bot bottles by Fastcap. I got mine from the lumberyard, but they have them on Amazon and most of the online stores as well. They do cost about six bucks, but they have a design that mostly eliminates the top plugging with dried glue. Plus you can buy replacement tips.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

I have been using one of these for a few months and I like it. I just had to do a major cleaning because the glue went bad. It wasn't really easy. max

Reply to
max

Back in the "Elmers glue" day, we used to buy squeeze bottles at hobby shops that (I think) were for model airplane fuel... Held about a pint and had a long, "L" shaped neck that was handy for putting a bead of glue down and not too hard to ungunk..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue. The spout is absolutely clog proof and I switched to it after going through the same spout-unclogging nonsense that you've described. The glue itself is identical to Titebond as far as I've been able to tell, though if you're really stuck on Titebond you can just refill the Elmer's bottle with it. To reply by e-mail, use jcarlson631 at yahoo dot com

-- jc

Reply to
John Carlson

Those look nice, but I would think that they have a fatal flaw... a separate cap. A titebond/elmers/mustard cap has an integral lid.... I'm so sure that (for me) a separate cap would end up on/closed less often than an integral cap.

It would be nice if could just buy titebond caps separately.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

I agree about the cap. The Glu-Bot really does work well controlling drips and applying the glue very evenly. The large cap has a place to store the red cap onboard.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

You can always use a (free) recycled mustard bottle.

Reply to
Phisherman

I go through mustard way slower than I go through glue bottles. in fact, the last jar of mustard in my fridge got so old I threw it out. haven't replaced it yet, either. that was sometime last year...

I don't think I've ever bought mustard in a squeeze bottle.

Reply to
bridger

The mustard I use comes in jars.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I like the newer Elmer's design - bottle is easy to grip, has a flat side so it doesn't roll to China if it tips over, and it has a fine tip (adjustable via where you cut it) with a snap on cap.

The Elmer's glue seems to hold up as well as Titebond. I got it free at a WW show and will probably buy with it goes empty.

Reply to
bob

Sat, Nov 5, 2005, 6:09pm (EST-2) snipped-for-privacy@all.costs I just spent 10 minutes for the umpteenth time getting the dried glue out of the slightly-too-clever-for-it's-own-good cap of a bottle of titebond 2. something else? got a favorite?

One of my Titebond II tops broke. Found out a French's mustard top fits perfect, and works nicely.

JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it.

- Red Green

Reply to
J T