General Woodworking Tools - Lowered height of woodworking tools

Well, I'm happy to see that General Tools will soon be producing a line of lowered woodworking machinery suitable for individuals in wheelchairs, people who like to sit, or who happen to be of lowered stature. As far as I know, they're the only company in North America who will be mass producing woodworking machinery of this type. It's about time. Eventually, I would've bought a 650 tablesaw, now it will be an AC650 tablesaw suitable for use from my wheelchair.

Upscale

Wed, Nov 28, 2007, 2:49pm snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com (Upscale) doth sayeth: Well, I'm happy to see that General Tools will soon be producing a line of lowered woodworking machinery suitable for individuals in wheelchairs, people who like to sit, or who happen to be of lowered stature. As far as I know, they're the only company in North America who will be mass producing woodworking machinery of this type. It's about time.

My joints give me seven kinds of Hell if I stand in one position for long. So my router table, planer, and scrollsaw, are at heights where I can sit using them; I do tend to use those for longer periods. I don't usually use the bandsaw for more than just a cut or three, so it's at standup height - for now. Same with the drill press. My bench saw is on a stand at standup height, but don't use that for extended periods. Same with the wood lathe - altho I've ben thinking about a tall stool for chair for that - but may just chop the stand shorter.

Any tool stands in my shop are made by me - from sheet plywood. They're strong, light, steady, and inexpensive. I can make them any height I want, and if the height is not right, I don't hesitate to make changes. The lathe stand is 3/4" plywood (I think), and doesn't vibrate, wobble, or move around. And cost probably around $10 to make..

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

General was always a class act.

This just confirms it.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

OneWay lathe maker has a NEW! sit down version of their various lathes.

Not sure how a joiner could be used from a chair but I know of several folks who do it from a wheel chair. Wheelchair folks are a very creative lot - at least the ones who sees challenges as good things - just like some of us "other people".

Most of my power tools that require SEEING where the cut is going to be made are all set up high - stock surface at sternum height or higher. The drill press table is at about shoulder level.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

As with most of the machine tools I use. My current tablesaw is a contractor's version so it was just a matter of cutting a few inches off each leg of the stand. However, for the longest time I've been wanting a General cabinet saw. Regular discussions with General both online and at trade shows about lowering one of their cabinet saws have been frequent. My biggest complaint was that doing a height change on a cabinet would likely void any warranty a new saw would have. Not now.

And, let's face it. Aside from the cost of retooling some less important parts of their production line, it will be a win, win act for them. It makes them look good. They will be at the forefront of the industry leaders in this area ( at least when it come to the mass producing part), and there is an existing under developed market for them to sell to. I can't envision much of a downside to this.

Lastly, considering the age and condition of many of the people in this newgroup (me included), machinery of this type will make it less uncomfortable to continue with our woodworking hobbies. If or when I can't do my woodworking, I better have something equally interesting to replace it or I won't have much incentive to go on.

Reply to
Upscale

Cool!

I remember some of your trials and tribulations over the past few years trying to set up your shop. The best part is that General started with top notch equipment.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thu, Nov 29, 2007, 1:32am snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com (Upscale) doth sayeth: My biggest complaint was that doing a height change on a cabinet would likely void any warranty a new saw would have. Not now. If or when I can't do my woodworking, I better have something equally interesting to replace it or I won't have much incentive to go on.

Huh. Never thought about voiding a warranty. I don't have much faith in warranties anyway.

That's OK, when you get too senile to do anything else, you qualify to go into politics.

JOAT Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

Reply to
J T

Well, I have to admit that I've benefited from them several times. (after I've jumped through all the hoops involved in getting warranty service). As far as a table saw goes though, a warranty is just a little more piece of mind for a relatively expensive purchase. And, we have seen the occasional comment here about cracked trunions.

Reply to
Upscale

Obviously, that should be "peace" of mind unless you criticise my spelling too harshly and then I'll happily give you a "piece" of my mind from the little I have to spare. :)

Reply to
Upscale