Large Frame for Painting

I need to build a 4' X 6' frame for a painting. I have no idea where to start. I have stretched the painting onto a 1by frame.

Issues: How do I fasten the outer frame to the painting? I don't want to have a huge piece of lumber with a 1" rabbet since it will be rather heavy but if that's the method then so be it.

what are good materials to use? I was looking at pre-made molding since I don't have a shaper. I might also go with pine and do a table saw cove cut.

Has anyone seen some plans or suggestions online? I have done a few searches but have not found anything.

I have assured SWMBO that it will be framed before the holiday guests arrive so any help/suggestions/commiseration would be appreciated.

Reply to
jeffgee

If it's on a 1x stretcher then you need a frame deep enough to hold it.

Your three big problems with framing are getting good, precise, clean miters in the corners (this is one time that there is _no_ slack because people are going to be standing close to it in a good light), getting the frame square, and getting reliable joints.

I strongly recommend making a smaller frame out of scrap wood first to get the technique down.

As for mounting the painting in the frame, normally brads are used. There's a ten buck tool purpose made for setting them--its main advantage is that it cuts way down on the number of ways that you can slip and tear the painting.

is one example. Any major art supply store should have something equivalent. There are also purpose made "points" that need a special tool for insertion--I don't think you really need to worry about them. There are "v-nails" that are intended to hold the corners together--on small frames they work, I wouldn't trust them on one the size of yours.

Now, another suggestion--if there's a Woodcraft near you see if they have a copy of the January 2007 issue of "Woodcraft Magazine". It shows how to make a very nice but somewhat unusual frame that doesn't have any miter joints--you can make it entirely on the table saw. It uses half-lap joints rather than miters, so it's strong as all getout, and if you make it with sufficient precision then it's pretty much self-squaring. You could order the back issue but if you need the frame done by Christmas you're tight on time.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Wed, Nov 28, 2007, 10:25am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (jeffgee) doth sayeth: I need to build a 4' X 6' frame for a painting.

OK, I want to know what the painting is? Dogs playing cards? Elvis? Those are the only subjects that immediately come to mind for a painting that size.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

You need enough of a rabbet to contain the stretcher and keep it from slopping around laterally but it need not be the full depth of the stretcher. Or even close to it.

There are spring clips made for holding the stretcher within the rabbet. Been years since I saw one and I don't recall exactly how they function but they are maybe 3/8" wide and 2 1/2 - 3" long. Brads diagonally into the stretcher is another way. Still another is to use strips of thin, narrow metal stock and bend them into "Z"s so they can be attached to both stretcher and frame back with brads or small screws. Regardless of the manner used to secure the stretcher in the frame, you don't need a whole bunch...2-3 per side should be plenty. ________________

You can use about anything. Including plywood. A piece of ply can have an appropriately sized hole cut in it...the ply can be upholstered or covered with wall paper or texture paint...make the back "rabbet" by fastening wood strips to the ply...finish inside and outside edges with strips of wood.

Don't like that? OK, use four pieces of wood and doweled butt joints. Or half laps. Or bridle joints.

Or you can screw around with standard miters, bevels and the like :) _______________

Browse away...

I have assured SWMBO that it will be framed before the holiday

Think outside the box and make something interesting that is appropriate both to the painting and your home.

Reply to
dadiOH

painting.http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5337is one example.

thanks. Actually it will be high above the fireplace so the standing close won't be as much of an issue as previous frames I've made but tightness of joints will still be an issue. I seems as if maybe you misunderstood the fastening part. I have one of those little plier looking things and the black tabs for holding pics and glass and cardboard in my smaller frames but this thing is 4 feet by 6 feet. Those little foldable tabs will surely not come close to holding it in. I have constructed quite a few "normal" sized frames and have the process pretty well in hand, it's just that this thing is a) going to be huge in comparison and b) not going to lay flat like the smaller frames but will be angled in our out much like crown molding. I'll check out that issue. I do have a woodcraft close by. thanks for your suggestions

Reply to
jeffgee

It's that really cool one with all the dead people on the old chevy.

Actually, it's a pretty sweet oil of a Venice (Italy) street scene.

Reply to
jeffgee

away...

TF-8&sa=N&tab=wi