GENERAL INTERNATIONAL JOINTER

Anyone have any experience with the 6" GI Jointer"
Dave
Same as King ect. Made in Taiwan

Hi Dave, I have one and like it. It came out of the box pretty much bang on. After many many hundred board feet I had to adjust the gib screws to true up the tables. No big deal. If the current ones come with the blade setting jig that sets the blades in relation to the cutting head (as opposed to the outfeed table) just throw that piece away. The GI model sold by Rona appears to be a cheapened down model. In response to Todd's comment, I haven't seen a King unit that is finished quite as well. YMMV. Cheers, JG
Dave S wrote:

I've had one for over a year and would recommend it. It has gone through lots of hard maple.
I think (not positive) that FWW (?) gave them a very good review a while back, which was a part of my decision process
No problems at all, good fit and finish. The manual left a bit to be desired. In a conversation with the General Rep last year at the Durham wood, he agreed and said they were fixing it.
If you are considering King, Marks Machinery here in Ottawa carries both.
...R

Picked one up from Marks's today $750, tax included, cash and carry. Took about 2 hours to assemble and set up and it works like a charm.
Dave