General bandsaw, reconsidered

I posted earlier about how great General bandsaws are and how they were made in Canada. I have not seen new tools in the last 10 or more years and was greatly surprised at the new General bandsaw. I actually just bought a General 18 inch. I saw an ad in the newspaper and went to see it. I was shocked. Plastic handles, small die cast trunions etc etc. I put it through it's paces and the saw worked perfectly. I bought it for $650 with 10 new blades. While I am sure it will work perfectly, it is a far cry from the 15 and 20 inch we still have in our shop. Max

Many things these days have become light and "plastic" oriented. In some ways it's an improvement, but in others, it's the result of cheaper production methods. But I agree with you, the weight and heft of a metal handle feels much more comfortable to me.

Does it say "General International" on the label?
Details matter.
Barry
Yup. I looked it over and it doesn't actually say where it was made. max

Well, AFAIK, General International machines are made overseas. General (no International) as made in Canada. I believe they're usually made heavier/sturdier and are supposed to be better quality (and more expensive). Having said that, I'm pretty happy with my GI 50-185 contractor saw, which will be in it's new home this time next week!
Clint

General International is General's line of Chiwanese tools.
Barry
I thought I would rather die than buy another cheap import tool but this thing works as well as the other General's we have. The performance is amazing. max

How do you find the quality difference between the General international product and the Canadian made 'General'. The price difference seems remarkable.
Dave

I initially didn't know it was not made in Canada. When I went to buy it I noticed plastic handles and commented on them. The owner told me this was an import. I put the saw through it's tests and was very impressed. I had some extra handles to replace the plastic ones and now I am very happy. max

That is a heck of a good price.
Is this it???
http://www.general.ca/product/inter/90260an.html
max wrote:

That's it.

I suspect you saw a Tiawan made General International model. General Canada only makes 2 different 15" versions (differeing resaw capacities), and a 20" model. The 18" is probably the Tiawan version.
R.