Garage Storage Cabinets ??

Page 1 of 2
Time to organize the garage. I plan to build my own storage cabinets using 1/2" or 3/4" plywood - I'm leaning towards 1/2". These will be sitting on adjustable "feet" so the bottom would most likely be 3/4". I plan on having some adjustable shelves and sliding shelves. There will be doors on most if not all of the cabinets. I would like these to look fairly nice, durable and easy to clean. Should I paint or finish with urethane?
Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!

✖
<dan> wrote in message

3/4" for your casework ... you be will sorry otherwise, particularly when it comes to fastening all the various hardware.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/8/08
On 21 Mar 2008 13:40:36 GMT, "dan" <> wrote:

Use melamine.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 21, 9:54 am, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

Best make sure those edges are really sealed up well.... PB in a garage???
MDO, 3/4" and paint. Assemble with stainless deck screws.... pre- drilled.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 08:34:08 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

True, I should clarify that it depends on the climate and the details of the garage.
I've had PB / melamine cabinets in my attached garage for 15 years.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 21, 12:27 pm, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

PB and moisture will end up looking like the ankles on a 60 year old Bulgarian hooker.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 09:42:40 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

I know, I've seen it in kitchens and basements.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 21, 1:06 pm, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

I knew you knew... just saw it as an opening to use the Bulgarian hooker image.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:41:12 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

I do appreciate that image.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 21, 12:06 pm, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

You've seen Bulgarian hookers in kitchens and basements?! the basement I can understand, but not in the KITCHEN fer cryin' out loud!
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:41:52 -0700 (PDT), tom snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

The goulash is fantastic.
Add pictures here
✖
<snip>

PB and moisture will end up looking like the ankles on a 60 year old Bulgarian hooker
First hand knowledge??? BTW thanks for the mental image; ruined my lunch! Tom
Add pictures here
✖
Robatoy wrote:

If it gets wet, yes. From high humidity, no.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Robatoy wrote:

Can I use 1/2" backing if dadoed in?

✖

For the backing I'd even go 1/4.
S.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 21, 6:51 pm, "dan" <> wrote:

1/4" would be okay as samson said. A rabbet will do as well.
Add pictures here
✖
Yes...makes a much stronger cabinet if you decide to use a french cleat.
dan wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Save your self some time and work by searching the cabinet shops for returns or overstock. Kitchen cabinets have been the main stay in my Florida Garage shop for 20 years. With little modification they will work wonders for all your storage needs.
Regards,
Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker www.woodworkinghobby.com

Add pictures here
✖

I don't use cabinets any more. With all the spam postings here for Louis Vuitton handbags and luggage, I figured I'd take advantage of the bargains. Now, all my tools are in fine looking, stylish handbags.
Add pictures here
✖

After seeing your webpage on down home roasting of a whole pig, I never took you for a designer handbag kind of guy.
Add pictures here
✖