Garage Storage

I need to build a cabinet to store numerous basketballs, rollerblades, hockey sticks, etc. I have been surfin the garage organizer web sites, and got some good ideas. I am thinking of building a tall cabinet, two doors with lots of shelves, slide out drawers, etc. I am not to sure of how to handle the basketball's. One ball would take up an entire drawer/shelve. Any ideas? Maybe something attached to the outside of the carcass? Any ideas on plans?
Matt wrote:

A shelf with a lip.
Other than that, make the balls smaller.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
plastic milk crates screwed to the side of the cabinets

Let the air out?
Matt
Unicorn wrote:

Well, yes, Matt.
Hanging ball nets on the side or stuffing them in a basket falls outside the parameters of the question.
Anything other than making a shelf a little wider than the radius of the ball with a raised edge to keep the ball from rolling out is going to take up more than minimal room. I suppose a dowel could be used in place of a shelf.
Other than that , yes, let the air out and fold them up. The air eventually looses it bounce and needs changing anyway, doesn't it?
;)
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

It is worth paying the extra money up front for the better quality air. The cheap stuff has virtually no bounce. But if you intend to inflate/deflate around each use, (which we all know is a delusional daydream), an honest value analysis might conclude you go with the cheaper "import" air. Now, how to store that in bulk?????
Hmmm
Rudy Lang wrote:

I would think that carefully dried air would compress more readily and retain its bounce better than the cheap muggy imported air. I would suggest storing each basketball's air in a dedicated same-shape tank at the same volume/pressure at which you intend to use it to minimize the effects of shape memory.
Note that if you use flexible tanks for storage, you will be able to collapse and fold the tank for storage while the basketball is in use...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Ikea (kids' section) do a hanging mesh tube, with internal dividers and access holes in the sides. It might not be what you're looking for here, but it's a really good way to store a large number of inflated footballs / basketballs, and in minimal floorspace.
Also makes a cat hammock (but that's a weird cat).

be mounted on the sides. You could also make a shelf as above with legs (like a small stool or a dog dish holder) that sits on top of the cabinet or on the floor.
Another option is to put the basketballs in a drawstring bag and hang on a hook or peg on the outside of cabinet. Could also use a pillowcase or an old backpack.
HTH Big John
Take out the TRASH for E-mail.
This might seem like overlooking the obvious, but how about storing the basketballs in a basket?
Lee

Yep, thought about that. If I store them in the cabinet, maybe a deep basket that would hold a few balls, on a sliding shelf. I do like the idea of storing them on the outside. I would like to hang the hockey sticks outside also.
Lee Gordon wrote:

Wire basket, they come in lots of sizes, You could attach to side of cabinet CC

Balls's store nicely in a net bag suspended from the rafters or in a tall cage built of PVC.
Grandpa
Matt wrote:

A net ball bag hanging on the outside. Others have had the same problem, that's the reason ball bags are on the market.

On the outside of the cab... you could follow the lead of the Bearded Plaid One and use some glue and a few brads to hold 'em in place till the glue dries.

Sonotube fastened to the side of the cabinet of the length you desire. Velcro strap on bottom to keep from valling out. If you want to get fancy, you could ditch the sonotube and make a clear tube out of 1/8" or thinner plexiglass.
They sell commercial versions of this idea that attaches to the basketball post. some have a cap on top to keep out the rain, and some are lockable.

Only tangentially related - I took thought I'd build cabinets w/ doors for the garage. A few minutes with CutList plus convinced me that I couldn't do it cheaper than that famous Irish Furniture maker "O'Sullivan". A trip to Lowes, and a few hours on Saturday, and I had 7' of garage cabinets w/ lockable doors.
Yea - more particleboard crap. But it does look better than what I had before.