garage light

Page 3 of 3

Agree with Pounds on Wood, I got 8 4' fixtures and tubes when a local office had to remodel. While I would prefer 8's, I can't complain about the price(free), and I got a couple dozen extra tubes with the fixtures. Much improves the shop to spread the light around, and I installed pull chain switches on those I would not be needing on a regular basis. My father was a mechanical engineer for the state (CA), and his answer as to how to light a work space was, if you can hold your hand out flat over the work surface at 12" high and see a shadow, you don't have the lights positioned right. Another factor is avoiding glare off shiny tool surfaces.
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:58:45 GMT, "Christopher Shoenleben"
Your local electrical supplier?
Barry
In my garage (that's attached to the house) I put in nine used 4' fixtures that I got from a demolition. When it's cold the bulbs hum and flicker until they warm up but other than that they seem to work fine.
Last summer I built a 26' x28' shop out back. I live in a cold climate and only heat the shop when I'm working out there. I installed nine of the high output 8' fixtures. Lots of light with no hum and flicker. No bulbs have burned out yet. The fixtures are about twice as expensive and the bulbs are three times as expensive. The 8' bulbs are much easier to replace than the 4'.
I was able to build this shop because of my good union wages and I'll be able to retire in two years at age 60 because I will be able to live well on my good union pension.
Not all unions are alike just as all companies are not alike. I work in a building trades union. I went through a five year apprenticeship to learn my trade. We compete (myself and my union brothers) with the non-union every day and have done so all of my working lifetime. We compete because we work hard and are well trained. We have no seniority clauses in our contracts. If you don't work, you don't keep your job.
Yes, there are corrupt union officials, just as there are corrupt management officials, corrupt bankers, corrupt politicians, and corrupt clergymen. Just because some are bad does not mean that they all are.
Tom
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:58:45 GMT, "Christopher Shoenleben"

Monday 25 April 2005 11:47 am:

Whoa ... who stepped on your gopher?