Funny DIY Humor

Safely, Jim Barry

WoodchuckCanuck

On 12 Dec 2004 05:09:28 -0800, "WoodchuckCanuck" calmly ranted:

was really good.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Exceeded the allotted bandwidth. Wait till after midnight.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:33:21 -0700, Mark & Juanita calmly ranted:

The bandwidth of the site was quickly spent this morning. Try back tomorrow, next week, or next year if his monthly allotment was spent.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You mean, we broke his web page???

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

Quote - " You mean, we broke his web page???"

Hi Dan,

Not necessarily broke the guy's page, just temporarily out of service. You see, every time a web page is viewed by a visitor, it takes a certain amount of data transferred from his site to your computer. That data transfer is called "bandwidth" useage. Some web sites are only allowed to transfer a limited amount of data per day or per month (i.e. a limited amount of bandwidth useage per day or per month). So if his web page (or web site in general) becomes really popular he'll quickly exceed his bandwidth. Example, if his bandwidth useage is 25Megs per month and his site is busy enough that the 25Megs is used up on the 19th, he has to wait for the beginning of the next month before anyone can view his site. He has a choice of either staying where he is at or "renting" space on another server where he can buy more bandwidth useage. Many servers now offer unlimited bandwidth. This is why its important to set up a web page that isn't too big in file size, so as not to chew up too much bandwidth when the site becomes popular. Images file size is usually the big culprit.

Hope that helps in an explaination. Woodwork Safely, Jim Barry

WoodchuckCanuck

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:57:19 -0500, Dan Valleskey calmly ranted:

Yuppers.

Free pages have a limited bandwidth.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I kinda knew all that. I was going for humor.

I need to try my hand at writing a page again. I did 4 or 5 years back, Netscape had an HTML editor that was pretty basic, did the job for two canoe clubs. But the new stuff available has zoomed beyond me.

Can you suggest a good web page editor?

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

Dan Vallesky asks:

Couple years ago I was starting to use a program called NoteTab Pro. It worked for me, and seemed pretty simple (which is about the ONLY way I'd get it to work). I don't know what kind of changes have been made in the past two years, though, either in the program or the field.

There's a free version, too, IIRC.

Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

Hey Dan, I missed the humor :-/. Anyway, I use BlueDomino's CoffeCup HTML Editor. Its got a lot of stuff and few very powerful features that as far as I know, no other program has. There's a link on the bottom of my homepage at

Safely, Jim Barry

WoodchuckCanuck

The One True Editor is vi.

Yes . . I AM a UNIX curmudgeon . . why do you ask?

Seriously, I use vim, which Just Works any any platform you might care to try it on.

EMACS has also been ported everywhere, but as someone once said, "Emacs is a great operating system, but it doesn't ahve a good editor."

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

If you know HTML, then I'd second the vote for CoffeeCup's editor. If you don't then they also have VisualDesigner - a drag n' drop page maker.

Reply to
patrick conroy

On 14 Dec 2004 09:07:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) calmly ranted:

NoteTab Pro is still my main editor, Charlie, but I've always handcoded HTML, PHP, CSS, and JS files anyway.

P.S: Feel free to refer him to me. I'd love to developing all the sites for the Wreckers' pages. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques