Fuming it is! *PIC*

Page 3 of 4
All those fumes get to your keyboard ribbon?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

I am just doing what my mother taught me, and Dave should learn the same.
Thanks,
David.
I was referring to the fact that you posted two messages in a row with no content, IOW they were BLANK messages.
Nuttin' to do with BAD.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Everything to do with BAD. If you don't have anything good to say about something/someone, don't say anything at all.
Thanks,
David.
JEEEEZZZ!! ... It was NOT about BAD, or anything to do with BAD!!
It was A ***FRIENDLY** JOKE (maybe lame, but an attempted pun nonetheless), about your keyboard ribbon being fumed to white, David ... ever see a ribbon on a computer keyboard?
Get your shorts out of a twist. BAD has got you seeing bad in everyone.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
Swingman wrote:

if that's your story, and you are obviously sticking to it, how come the bullsh*t message about all I ever post is "what to buy"? you are so full of it!
David F. Eisan wrote:

I like it! I'm looking forward to seeing the before and after pictures as well as the process pictures. It's always cool to learn another technique you can use. I've never tried fuming either as it seemed a bit complicated to me as well (my Engineering professors are probably doing a 180 as we speak). Maybe you can give us the layman's directions when done.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"David F. Eisan" < snipped-for-privacy@rogers.splinter.com> wrote in message

http://musial.ws/fuming.htm
WebsterSteve wrote:

Great page...thanks!
Has anyone fumed maple? My BIL was considering staining his current maple project, but decided to use amber shellac instead - due to poor consistency with some stain samples.
--
************************************
Chris Merrill

No, but I have used ferrous sulphate to try and bring out birds eye figure, and I'm currently experimenting with nitric acid / ferric nitrate stains and heat (18th century gunsmithing techniques).
Logwood dye on maple is nice. Comes out silver grey and looks nothing like maple, but it's a nice '30s style decorative highlight on a light-coloured piece.
Can you post the technique on using ferrous sulphate?? And where you purchased it. I would love to try it out.
Thanks,
Grampa Simpson

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 07:12:42 -0800, "grampa simpson"

I don't have a "technique", I'm still trying to get it right. Sometimes it works, more often it turns the whole surface a muddy grey.
I got the idea from "Classic Wood Finishing" by George Frank <(Amazon.com product link shortened)> This is the best guide to real French-style French polishing I've ever read, and worth getting for that alone.
Most of the book is about colouring wood. Frank did a lot of experimenting, and illustrates many of the results (lots of colour pictures in this book). However he doesn't always describe the process, and his chemical knowledge is frequently inaccurate. He's the only ebeniste I've seen who could do much useful with logwood though, let alone the infamously unstable alkanet root.
The birdseye maple is just there as an illustration. The process is to make the surface moist and highly alkaline with caustic soda (lye), then apply a solution of ferrous sulphate. My experience is that you need to be quick with this, and have a reasonably strong solution. The colouring is most effective around the "end grain" of the curl and eyes, and you need to get the whole thing coloured and neutralised before the whole piece of timber starts to turn grain, long grain too. Slowness or excess dilution allows the whole piece to turn pale grey.
I keep lots of assorted ferrous salts around for doing copper patination, including ferrous sulphate. Ferrous salts are cheap and of low hazard, so they're quite easy to get hold of (there is no problem in only commercial labs using them). If you can't find a retail chemical supplier locally, try asking school chemistry teachers where they shop.
: On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:05:20 GMT, Chris Merrill
:>Has anyone fumed maple? : No, but I have used ferrous sulphate to try and bring out birds eye : figure, and I'm currently experimenting with nitric acid / ferric : nitrate stains and heat (18th century gunsmithing techniques).
: Logwood dye on maple is nice. Comes out silver grey and looks nothing : like maple, but it's a nice '30s style decorative highlight on a : light-coloured piece.
Where do you get logwood dye? And is the stuff hazardous?
    -- Andy Barss
On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 23:29:13 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss

You buy logwood as chips, then boil it up yourself. Couple of spoonfuls in a tin can, enough water to cover it and simmer for ten minutes. Needs to be used with a mordant (tin chloride, alum) and the mordant choice and pH influences the colour. Gives some very interesting colours on oak, even some nice blues, and the oak's tannin is usually enough to act as a mordant on its own.
I don't know about any minor toxicity problems, but it's certainly not a hazard I worry about.
I think it's Mexican in origin these days, but it's not hard to get hold of from web-order alchemy suppliers. Other sources that woodworkers should be aware of are pagans and incense makers. You can find dyestuffs like dragon's blood or all of the resins like copal and sandarac that you need for reproducing 18th century spirit varnishes.
Now if anyone knows how the hell to do anything useful with alkanet root, then I'd love to hear it ! Boil that up in oil and you get a beautiful deep crimson, but it fades in a few days, even in darkness. Nothing I know will preserve it.
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:05:20 GMT, Chris Merrill

I'll be fuming some ebony this weekend.
-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown
It comes out looking like poplar ... DAMHIKT
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
Larry C in Auburn, WA wrote:

Second that. I'm too stupid to even read the thread where all the chemical details were discussed, but that transformation sure was amazing! It's going to be beautiful.
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:35:42 GMT, "David F. Eisan"
Wow, that sure looks purty. Wish I had known about that trick a week ago. Made up a little holder panel on base (looks kinda like a book stand, except the back is more vertical) for a bookshelf stereo system. The system looked fine without it, but the cat found a way to send the pieces crashing to the floor. Tain't no way she will be able to do the same now.
Point is, made it from a nicely figured piece of cherry (approximately 12"x27"x1/2") the father-in-law gave me. Would have looked real nice with that deep red-orange glow that only old cherry seems to posses.
Have an old cherry gate leg table and corner cupboard, both well over 100 years old, that just glow. The table has 2 boards that are approximately 22" wide. Nice to find a way to impart that glow in my lifetime.
DLG

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:35:42 GMT, "David F. Eisan"

How about a closeup of that test piece, Davey? It looks interesting.
-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown