? from Reporter

I'm a journalist doing a story on wood prices. Any of you have time to share your experiences? Drop me an email -- snipped-for-privacy@wsj.com
Avery Johnson writes:

A wee bit of specificity might help. Hard? Soft? Domestic? Exotic? Dry? Green? Rough? S2S? S4S? FAS or Common or somewhere in between?
Charlie Self "I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.' " Garrison Keillor
I'm with Charlie - Are you addressing home building or wood working?
RonB responds:

From a later post, I'd gather he doesn't really know the difference.
Charlie Self "I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.'" Garrison Keillor
Fri, Jul 23, 2004, 9:53am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@wsj.com (AveryJohnson) claims: I'm a journalist doing a story on wood prices. Any of you have time to share your experiences? <snip>
With one of the fourth estate? I doubt it. Give me a reason why..
JOAT Every thing that happens stays happened. - Death waxes philosophical
"J T" wrote in message

Tracy Chapman already asked .. you probably won't get an anwer either.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04
Fri, Jul 23, 2004, 8:32pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) says: Tracy Chapman already asked .. you probably won't get an anwer either.
It would only surprise me if I did.
JOAT Expensive tennis shoes won't cure a sore toe. - Bazooka Joe
As I am unsure what information you are looking for, I'll just 'bullet point some thoughts'
I am a woodworker and a builder.
As serious hobbyist, I tend to buy hardwoods for furniture projects. Some exotics types as I need them.
As a builder, I build houses for the poor in Tijuana Mexico. The wood we buy there is 30% higher and of a lesser quality. NAFTA?
Plywood costs have skyrocketed! Some say it's due to the exporting of plywood going to Iraq and China. Some say the Feds have forced the closure of many of the plywood factories. Environmental concerns.
I live in Southern California and thousands of acres of pine trees have been devastated by the bark beetle. I now see truckloads going by my office everyday, yet the cost of this wood remains high.
Most local contractors hesitate on bidding jobs tightly due to the wild variances in price.
The local lumber yards have been swallowed up by the 'Borg' (Home Depot/Lowes). They sold lumber at cost or below until all off the local smaller yards closed. Now their prices are higher, quality, selection and service are pitiful but our choices are limited.
Wood is a natural, biodegradable and renewable resource. So why do the so-called environmentalists buy cheap furniture made from synthetic wood and or particle board. Imagine the chemicals used in the production of this stuff that will just end up in the dump in less than five years.
I visited a lumber mill in Eureka a few years ago. I commented on the huge amount or redwood, spruce and fir timber he had staked in his yard. He told me it was all being shipped raw, to CHINA!
If you need more info please do not hesitate to ask.
Dave Bower
It is cheaper to buy a rocking horse made in China than to buy the wood to build it - I'm still amazed by this. So it's not cost effective to build generic off the shelf things - like bookshelves, etc.
Another story that is near and dear to my heart is the elimination of industrial arts in schools. The schools in the SF Bay Area stress computers and a college prep type classes. The only classes I remember from Junior High and Senior High were my woodshop classes (and yes, I did take Calculas). I built a butler tray table for my mother and it's the only momento she has from me from my high school days. I make my living using a computer, but I spend my spare time wood working. After a day of work, the last thing I want to do is stare at a computer screen. We are programming a generation of computer users and there is little or no value placed on industrial arts. That is the story you should write...
Avery Johnson wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Look up the articles in Aug '04 Woodwork magazine on the Sloyd system. Doug Stowe wrote or contributed to them. Great historical piece, and a good set of reasons for having handwork in the current curriculum.
Patriarch, who took history & government during the summers in order to take arts & crafts courses in the regular school year, 35 years ago....

As a hobbyist, the price of wood does not affect me. If the price goes up, I just don't let my wife get her prescriptions filled every month. When you have to choose between 10 board feet of cherry or heart medication, well. that piece of furniture just has to get done. Ed
as long as you have enough $ for wood and good 'Q', what else does a man need??? ;-)                    Mark L.