Freud Thin Kerf blades

I hope you all will excuse this post since it has absolutely nothing to do with the election, politics, health care or, gasp, getting ripped off by a woodworking supply company.<g>
Anyone care to provide a user review for the Freud Premier 40T thin kerf blade. Appears to be a combo with that sexy red finish.
All that I've seen about it indicate that it's a winner. Been looking for a nice combo/general purpose blade to avoid switching back and forth during small projects.
On Monday, November 12, 2012 12:00:56 PM UTC-8, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Probably a great blade, just be careful if you buy it from Peachtree Woodworking. Go Romney.

LOL!
Actually, Rockler is selling it at their normal price and free shipping, but including a $30 gift card with the purchase. So, for a net of $50 I'll roll the dice and give it a whirl

Don't use think kerf any more, but those that like think kerf will probably give it a good response.
IMHO it is inherently flawed.
On Monday, November 12, 2012 8:19:29 PM UTC-8, Leon wrote:

Quite appropriate in ripping configurations on under powered saws. Really do take less power to cut so extend the capabilities of the saw. However, I have had issues with side chatter and I hate edge sanding so slowly reverting back to full kerf myself.
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 21:39:56 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"

excuse this post since it has absolutely nothing to > do with the election, politics, health care or, gasp, getting ripped off > by a woodworking supply company.<g> > > Anyone care to provide a user review for the Freud Premier 40T thin kerf > blade. Appears to be a combo with that sexy red finish. > > All that I've seen about it indicate that it's a winner. Been looking > for a nice combo/general purpose blade to avoid switching back and forth > during small projects. > Don't use think kerf any more, but those that like think kerf will probably give it a good response. IMHO it is inherently flawed.

take less power to cut so extend the capabilities of the saw. However, I have had issues with side chatter and I hate edge sanding so slowly reverting back to full kerf myself. Only had a small experience with thin kerf back when I was trying to turn a craftsman into a real saw. Did the special belt, added a vega fence, and tried a thin kerf blade. Something to watch out for as I found was adding blade stabilizers. The one's I had from Craftsman actually made the blade run out worse. This was early 80's so there is probably improvement. I went to a Forest WWII and haven't look back. Should probably add that I also went to a used Unisaw. Actually have the new 48 toothe version but haven't tried it yet.
Mike M
On 11/13/2012 5:16 AM, Mike M wrote:

Wondering if the Freud anti-vibration relief cuts in the blade will cure or mitigate that problem, if any, with the blade. We'll see, I guess.

For the price I figure I have little to lose given the reputation and reviews for the Freud.
Really just looking for a good all purpose blade to avoid having to swap them out (crosscut vs rip) all the time when tackling little projects (which it seems that most are these days<g>)
If I have a lot of ripping to do, I'll definitely take the time and swap in my ~30 year old Freud (forget the model number). That blade on a properly set up table or radial arm saw will give a glue ready edge that's smooth as a baby's a**. Even though it's full kerf, it still cuts like a hot knife through butter.

Your biggest problem/concern will probably be from blade flex, especially when making bevel or compound angle cuts, and or going from hard to soft spots when ripping. It might sorta/so to speak cut around an area with a knot.
On 11/13/2012 5:16 AM, Mike M wrote:

excuse this post since it has absolutely nothing to > do with the election, politics, health care or, gasp, getting ripped off > by a woodworking supply company.<g> > > Anyone care to provide a user review for the Freud Premier 40T thin kerf > blade. Appears to be a combo with that sexy red finish. > > All that I've seen about it indicate that it's a winner. Been looking > for a nice combo/general purpose blade to avoid switching back and forth > during small projects. > Don't use think kerf any more, but those that like think kerf will probably give it a good response. IMHO it is inherently flawed.

take less power to cut so extend the capabilities of the saw. However, I have had issues with side chatter and I hate edge sanding so slowly reverting back to full kerf myself.

I did pretty much the same thing with the same basic saw with a 1 hp motor. I was never happy with any blade that I used until the shop that I used to resharpen blades sold me a Systematic reg kerf blade. He said try it out for a week and if you don't like it bring it back. That was around 1988. I sold the saw 11 years later with the same blade on it and AAMOF the same blade is on that saw today. No telling how many times it has been resharpened.
Did you know that Forrest now makes a dedicated rip blade???
On 11/13/12 5:16 AM, Mike M wrote:

LMAO! That's like saying, "I was having trouble with the tires on my Honda Prelude, but I bought some racing tires and haven't looked back. I should probably add that I went to a Porsche 911 Turbo." :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 11/13/2012 11:05 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

≥ +1
:)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Guilty as Charged. 8-) I went from the beginning to the end. Actually went to a full Kerf Systematic blade and it did pretty darn good with that Craftsman saw. But your analogy is pretty accurate.
Mike M

excuse this post since it has absolutely nothing to > do with the election, politics, health care or, gasp, getting ripped off > by a woodworking supply company.<g> > > Anyone care to provide a user review for the Freud Premier 40T thin kerf > blade. Appears to be a combo with that sexy red finish. > > All that I've seen about it indicate that it's a winner. Been looking > for a nice combo/general purpose blade to avoid switching back and forth > during small projects. > Don't use think kerf any more, but those that like think kerf will probably give it a good response. IMHO it is inherently flawed.

take less power to cut so extend the capabilities of the saw. However, I have had issues with side chatter and I hate edge sanding so slowly reverting back to full kerf myself.

I like to make the comparison of using a 1/4" shank bit vs a 1/2" shank bit.