French Polishing - need help please

First off, I'll apologise for not following normal newsgroup netiquette of reading a group for a while before posting. I've only just subscribed and don't have the luxury of spending time reading because of husband set time constraints and I need some advice please.
My husband has a 1933 car that he has been restoring with some help from me and has finally reached the stage where the dahboard needs to be installed and, after considerable discussion and doing some tests, he wants it to be French Polished using Golden Shellac. He doesn't want the high shine of the modern 3 pack industrial finishes an dhe wants the surface to be able to be restored renovated easily if needs be.
I'll do the French Polishing as I've done it several times before on antique Dining tables and achieved a good outcome.
So, I know how to do it, have done it in the past, but it's been about 2 years since the last time I did it and I can't currently find my book that I refer to when I've tackled this job in the past. I can't remember if I have rubbed back between each coat using steel wool (wire wool).
Can anyone who is experienced in traditional French Polishing please give me some advice.
Thanks for you time.
Fran

This is a pretty good place to start: http://www.milburnguitars.com/fpbannerframes.html
snip

This is a pretty good place to start: http://www.milburnguitars.com/fpbannerframes.html ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice site and interesting in more ways than just the French Polishing. Thanks for the link.
Fran
FarmI wrote:

Pete Teran posted this tutorial years ago in response to the same question:
http://www.woodwrecker.com/woodworking/frenchpolish.shtml
~Mark.
snip

It's a relief to know that someone else has also managed to forget something they've done multiple times - I had been worried that it might be the onset of Alzheimers.
Thank you for the link.
Fran

Pumice and oil, applied between coats and/or as needed.