French Polish

Several years ago I bought a bottle of Zinssers French Polish. I know some people reported iffy results with it, but it worked great for me. Naturally, they took it off the market!
Behlen's Qualasole and Liberon's Easy French Polish are said to be similar products. I've used Qualasole and liked it, but it didn't give quite the sheen the Zinsser product did. I haven't tried the Liberon. If anyone has, I'd be interested in a post of your results. Thanks.
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
On 11/25/2013 1:49 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Never have use any of that stuff Larry but... ;~)
If you like to polish you nails, you might be interest in this too?
Sorry.
http://screen.yahoo.com/focus-beauty-ii-000000353.html
Ok I bored.

You can French polish with anything that will re-dissolve in its thinner; IOW, shellac or lacquer. Shellac is usual, lacquer works too. Other than the grade/color of shellac, it matters not who sells it...shellac is shellac. Ditto lacquer.
--

dadiOH
On 11/30/2013 4:00 PM, dadiOH wrote:

shellac is shellac, but there is waxed, and dewaxed.
To french polish dewaxed is the norm.. I've never used waxed, so I don't know if it works, but I was always told dewaxed, and that's what I've used.
I only use waxed for jigs and stuff... where it's premade and lasts forever compared to the flakes I mix up.
--
Jeff

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 16:00:48 -0500, dadiOH wrote:

Actually, I posted that. And my point got lost by the time you replied. The Zinsser product gave the appearance of French polishing without the work. Obviously, Liberon's "Easy" French polish makes the same claim. I wanted to know from someone who'd used the Liberon product if that claim was valid.