Free Version Of Sketchup

Page 1 of 2

Google bought the folks that write Sketchup, a tool many of us here use for mocking up our designs and many more would like to if it wasn't so expensive. Anyway in Google tradition they are offering a free version of it, you can download it here http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

That's me. couldn't justify the cost for my hobby use, and have been harding my 8 hours of trial time, waiting for the best use of it.

This is great news! No sure what the reduced capabilities are versus Sketchup pro, but on the surface it looks very useful for me.

^^^^^^^
Make that "hoarding", of course!

AH! And I figured you just weren't using it for any softwood projects.
*snicker*
Robert Bonomi wrote:

I looked at this to download as a result of this thread, and yes, it looks like a cool program. But reading the license agreement points out that google requires you to allow the program to phone home for updates. It also maintains a unique program identifier that allows google to track whatever they have programed into it to track, though they do say that personal information is not tracked. Google seems to be going that way. I don't like automatic updates in general, or programs that use my internet connection without my knowledge or consent.
Must admit though, this program does tempt me.
Harvey

use
so
Use a firewall and don't give it automatic permission. Heck, I don't even allow my anti-virus program unlimited access.
--
Tom Adams

lock your system down with a firewall to prevent any unathorized connections w/ the internet.
eclipsme wrote:

Yes, you could do this, but then the offending program will still be running in the background, using system resources, slowing the computer down. Get enough of these sort of parasitic programs and your machine starts to crawl.
Please I am not meaning to offend anybody here. Again - looks like a really cool program. Just understand what else may be involved if you decide to go with it.
Harvey
Mapdude wrote:

On 4/29/2006 8:25 AM eclipsme mumbled something about the following:

It doesn't have any background program that runs, it connects to home when you start it up. When you close it down, there is nothing left running in the background.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???
Odinn wrote:

This would certainly be better, but how do you know that this is how it behaves?
Harvey
On 4/29/2006 2:20 PM eclipsme mumbled something about the following:

Because I use several tools to tell me what processes are running, what started them, and I have a firewall that logs all access in and out of my home network. When all this bruhaha started about it phoning home, I downloaded it and checked to see what it was doing. That's how I know.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

Pop wrote:

Any programmer worth his salt could work around the attempt to thwart the calling home mechanism by closing off an Internet connection; just simply cache the information being gathered in a temporary local file and when the time comes that an Internet connection is detected, then the contents are sent.
I've been studying this program for a few hours and am beginning to think this rocks... Thank you Google! Now, we just have to hope for tool manufacturers to offer 3D files of their products so that we can integrate them into SketchUp designs --- this already is happening in the professional realm. Would it be nifty if Lee Valley starting offering 3D files of what it sells.
John L. Poole wrote:

Oh, sure. That's just what I need. CAD dream tools to go in my CAD dream shop. Well, at least it would be 3D... ;)
And why not? Here's a start: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?q=woodworking
I am posting a couple of jpeg's of a 3D solid model of my very crowded workshop-in-the-works to abpw. This model can be rotated and viewed from all angles, solid or semi-transparent, as shown. Different configurations can be created with relative ease. It was a lot of work drawing everything from scratch but I am making major changes in shop layout, routing of electrical circuits, designing multi-function workstations, etc as a result. I used the (formerly free) Pro/Desktop program from PTC for this exercise.
David Merrill

damian penney wrote:

SketchUp is a great 3D CAD tool. I use it on everything from furniture to home design. Easy to learn and easy to use.

That is truly awesome. I'll also chime in that SketchUp is a great 3D tool for quickly mocking up designs. I was about to sketch some options for a new front porch for my father using it.
todd

Yup; looks like they came upon a real goodie there.
todd wrote:

But where is the Linux version???
--
It's turtles, all the way down