Fractional dial caliper with .001 resolution?

I just got a fractional dial caliper, not realizing it is accurate to .01 instead of .001 like my decimal caliper. Does anyone know of a source for one good to the nearest .001? Sam P.
Sam said:

I don't know of one with english fractional markings - only decimal and metric. I don't know why it would really matter with wood, however. It expands, shrinks, and distorts WAYYY more than .001". That much accuracy would only depress you... <g>
Greg G.
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 20:00:04 -0500, Greg G. wrote:

and besides, the dial would have to be pretty big to have room for all of those numbers.
I remember reading an article a number of years ago, by the late Jim Kingshott, one of the UKs leading woodworking gurus. He related his experience as a apprentice patternmaker, where they were reqd to work to +/- 1/64". They had to bag their workpieces up in oilcloth overnight, because they would vary by more than the tolerance next morning due to humidity change.
Obviously accuracy is important, but we're woodworkers, not metal machinists. If you're currently working to tolerances of +/-1/100", then that's more than good enough for even the best quality joinery. If you're aiming for an ultra-close fit on a particular component, then there's not much wrong with the old way, where you made a component slightly oversize, then hand-fitted it, rather than aiming for a good fit straight from the machine.
Cheers
Frank
<Greg G.> wrote in message

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 11:11:07 +0000 (UTC), "Frank McVey"

I try to work both ways. where I can, I get my setups accurate enough to go straight off of the machine. where I can't, I leave enough for hand fitting.     Bridger
I have a s**tload of spare calipers, digital and vernier. Trust me, if you want to use a .001 caliper, don't take the results TOO seriously. A variation of a few thou sounds like a lot if your checking a board out of a thickness planer, but in reality it's nothing to worry about. Temp and especially humidity changes will effect your numbers. Chances are, if you try to chase down those last few thou, it will be like watching a dog chase it's tail. Mark
Sam wrote:

Enco or KBC tool about $25 for a 6". Great for quick setups.
Wendell

Don't think there is such an animal, as the fractional dial indicators go 1inch per rev, and it would be sorta hard to put 1000 gradiations on a single rev
Most dial indictors/calipers with res to 0.001 go 0.1in per rev
John

They are always on eBay. Try a search there for "Dial Caliper"