Forrest Blades

Just before leaving on a trip a little over a week ago, I ordered two blades directly from Forrest (WWII and Chop Master). Since their Web page says most orders ship in 2 or 3 business days, I figured they would arrive shortly after my return this week. I placed the order online and got an automated response confirming the order.

After getting home I had received no further information, so on Monday (4/30) I called to check the status of the order (If shipment were to be delayed I needed to make some interim plans because current blades need attention). I was told the only person who could trace the order wouldn't be in until the next day at 3:30. Called back on Tuesday too early and the magic person hadn't arrived. Left information and was told I would be notified of status. When I had received no information by 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday, I left a voice mail and sent an e-mail cancelling the order.

I'm not trying to be a hard ass about this thing, but I think two business days to merely check the status of an order is way out of bounds.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

BTW, where do most of you order Forrest blades?

George Bame Norfolk, VA

Reply to
George Bame

I drive over to Forrest, about 30 mins away.

Reply to
ROY!

I walk in and buy them at Coastal Tool.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Amazon.com usually has 20% off sale on blades w/free shipping.

Reply to
Seeker

Same here.

The OP should note that there are several "Forrest Blades" websites that are not actually Forrest Mfg.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Can you post the web site that you ordered from? As Barry has indicated, there are a few Forrest sites that are not actually Forrest but do in fact sell Forrest blades.

Reply to
Leon

The only experience I have dealing with Forrest is blade sharpening, half a dozen times in the last few years, and have had no delays or problems in that regard.

Rockler and WoodCraft generally have them in stock here in Houston. I would expect that any retail woodworking supply, either bricks and mortar, or on the net, would be able to serve you.

Whatever the hassle, they are worth it.

Reply to
Swingman

It sounds to me like you are being a bit impatient and tried to translate your urgent need into the time they should respond. Based on the information you gave, you were expecting the blades to arrive less than 7 business days after you placed the order with ground shipping. I don't think that is reasonable.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I agree. One week is exceptional service with premium shipping costs. For most orders I get the item within 2 weeks with backorder exceptions. Expecting the package within 30 days is reasonable, maybe longer than a 30-day period if Christmas break is included.

Reply to
SWDeveloper

Shoot I don't know where you guys order, but I get just about everything in 3 to 5 days regular UPS. Maybe it's because I'm centrally located. I also have to agree with the OP two days just to check the status of an order is a bit much IMHO. However a couple of the other posters are also correct, Forrest is usually very reliable and maybe you weren't actually dealing with them. bc

Reply to
bc

Actually almost everything I have shipped in by FedEx and UPS by ground/cheapest way, arrives within 3-5 days of the shipping company receiving the goods regardless of where in the US it is shipped. I am in Houston. From Seattle WA to KeyWest FL it takes 6 days for a 10 lb package by UPS.

How soon you get the package is mostly determined by how soon the package is delivered to the shipping company.

Problems can happen that may require longer but as a norm 6 business days is the longest you should have to wait after the package is actually shipped. If you are on a schedule it makes good sense to work with a larger time allotment for uncontrollable variables.

Reply to
Leon

The only Forrest blade I've bought was at a show, directly from Forrest but to be shipped so I wouldn't have to lug it around. It took a little longer than I thought to ship. When I called and left a message, I got a return call within the hour. They indicated they were a little behind getting out the show orders, but mine had shipped. Arrived the next day.

Well worth the wait.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Amazon.com carries Forrest blades and about every other month or so they have some type of discount. I bought the last one for $82.00 and free shipping. Ronnie

Reply to
shooter

He is complaining that they took two days just to give him the status of his order. That should take no more than two minutes. Stock items should normally ship in a day or so. I don't think that is being unreasonable at all.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

For products the size of a 10 inch saw blade, shipment anywhere in the lower 48 in less than a week is very reasonably priced by the US Mail. For distances of about 300 miles or less, next day service would not be unusual if the parcel is mailed early in the day.

(Disclaimer: 25 years Postal Service employment)

Reply to
Larry W

Edwin, respectfully, I disagree. Checking the status of an order is the often the slowest part of customer service, unless you have dedicated staff with an online lookup system. My experience says that order taking is the fastest process and getting something shipped is the next. But order status lookup may take longer than two days from many reputable companies. That part of the process is not essential in the order to cash process chain and often marginally staffed. I wouldn't be surprised if his saw blade arrived the next day before they even had a chance to acknowledge his cancellation. Forrest is not a huge company and probably doesn't have the staff to respond quickly. They stay alive by quality product not lightning fast customer service. I bet they would prefer to deal exclusively through wholesale channels if they could and get rid of the retail overhead altogether.

All this is academic and laced with opinion and individual experiences. You are right and I am right - within the realm of our individual experiences. We all have the voting right with our precious dollars.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Any company out there that doesn't have an online lookup system today, especially a 'big name' company, doesn't deserve any orders. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds to pull up any order and confirm if it has been shipped or not, there really is no excuse for it to be otherwise in today's world.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Agreed. I regularly get large boxes shipped across country via USPS or UPS Ground that take far less than a week to arrive. In fact, I get one regular order that could easily be a dozen 10-inch saw blades in size and weight, coming from almost the other side of the country that ships every other Thursday and I always have it in my hands no later than the following Tuesday.

30-days would be a travesty. I'd never work with any company who couldn't ship faster than that. I get shipments from Europe and Asia a hell of a lot faster than that.
Reply to
Brian Henderson

Forrest blades are good wood cutters.

after all...... . . . wait for it . . . . . . . . . . . . you can't see the trees from the Forrest.

. . . . . . . . okay.. I'll let myself out...

Reply to
Robatoy

OK, we disagree.

It is a saw blade. They either have it or they don't. If they have it, they should be able to say it shipped or it did not. If they don't have it, they should be able to say it will be "the week of" at least. If you are talking about an item that is complex, requires many parts and sub assemblies, then I'll give you a couple of days.

If they would prefer to deal exclusively through wholesale channels, they should do so. Nothing wrong with that. If, however, you plan to sell to the consumer in the age of the internet, there is no excuse not to have a computerized system that can at least give rudimentary answers in seconds. "Thank you, we have your order, that item is out of stock and expected to be back in stock in about 2 weeks. Sorry for the inconvenience, do you want to wait until then or can we substitute another item?"

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski