Large bandsaws and little blades

Hi.

Still debating between a Bridgewood 17" and Rikon 18" bandsaw or a smaller 14" BS. How do these larger saws perform when using smaller (say, 1/4") blades? Are the blades easy to track? Is it easy to see the cut-line beyond the larger guides? Are the lower tables (relative to a 14" saw) a problem? Any other comments or advice?

Thanks as always for your help.

David

Reply to
David

I routinely run 1/4" blades on my 18" parks bandsaw without problems. it has a pretty high table for an 18" saw and pretty primitive guides, but if the guides on your target machine can be adjusted for a narrow blade I don't see a reason not to do it.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

I went from a 12 " Craftsman to the 18" Rikon. It will handle 1/4" through

1-1/4' wide blades. As for as being able to see the blades there is no problem. On some saws it is harder to see what you are sawing then the guard is down low. Rikon has a window at the bottom of the blade guard to aid your vision. The guides are behind the blade. They do not get in the way of the line you are looking at. Tracking on the Rikon is pretty easy as again it has a window on the top side so that you can watch the tracking as you adjust it and turn the upper wheel by hand. I actually prefer the lower table. I was lifting 8" diameter 3' long tree limbs up there and was much more comfortable with everything a bit lower.
Reply to
Leon

Reply to
jack