For those who can buy MDO...

For those of you who are lucky enough to have found a source for MDO: is there a company name or logo on the MDO telling you who makes the stuff? Maybe if we knew that, we could contact the manufacturer and find local distributors.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Kewl

I found MDO by contacting a local cabinet company, who put me in touch with a plywood dealer. I also found that Paxton (owner of Woodcraft woodworking stores) generall has MDO in stock. You have to forget the major consumer chains (Borg, Lowe's etc) as they only carry high volume, fast moving items..

Chris

Reply to
C Carruth

A few manufacturers are:

Plum Creek Northwest Plywood (406) 892-6312

Roseburg Forest Products (514) 679-3311

Simpson Plywood Eastern US - (800) 445-2442 Southeast US - (800) 782-7265 Western US - (800) 782-9378

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

Here you go, I did a Copernic search

Reply to
Leon

Don't know about manufacturers, but I get mine at Windsor Plywood. They only have US stores in WA, but they're all over Canada.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

In SW Florida it is at Raymond Lumber. I used it for a pontoon boat deck, in salt water. 14 years and counting. I think I paid $32 a sheet (3/4, one side) in 1989

Reply to
Gfretwell

Look in your phone book under cabinet shops. Call them and ask " Will you retail some MDO to me?" If not, the second question can be "Where can I get MDO around here. Anytime you're looking for something, the second question should always be the same, if the answer to the first is "no".

I've found on more than one occasion, the shop will sell to me. Commercial shops are not set up for credit cards, and personal checks are a hassle to them, so offering to pay cash can often help your cause.

Establishing a good relationship with a local shop can open up a whole range of supply possibilities, from hardware to finishing supplies, and they may even do small cash jobs for you, like wide belt sanding a table top.

I've dealt with local cabinet shops, metal shops, plastic shops, auto body shops, etc... Sole proprietorships are more likely to deal with you than corporate owned shops. Try to hook up with the owner.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

You are very right Barry, I have a small shop and you will be suprised the calls I get from people doing work at home and the shock they get when i say come by and I'll give you the catalogue where you can get something. Or that i have that hinge or drawer track But to find that right person you really have to go through a bunch of idiots. They by in large tell me that most shops sluf them off as a pain in the ass they do not have the time to be bothered and take the attitude that if they show them then they won't get their business. almost like the pastry chef giving out his recipe's.

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

On the flip side, how many of the shops have spent time helping someone, only to have them drop a Visa on the desk?

Or said yes, only to deal with someone who is too lazy to research the materials, and has no idea what they really want?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Oh yes I can monopilize this NG with stories of odd calls and odd people dropping by my shop with odd requests. I do try to help people as much as possible, I do have a philosphy that has proven to be true many times over over the years. Its is that most people will always remember you for the kind helpfull deed you did for them and trust me you never know when the big one is coming. And I have benifited from these deeds many times. As 95% of my business is word of mouth recommendations you can never have enough people shooting their mouth off about you. Positive only never negative it takes many many positives to negate one negative.

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

George, I don't know about kind and helpful etc., but I guess it's the same thing as treating people with respect. I could also bore the NG with stories about why I took a contract (didn't pay much) and didn't take a contract (paid a bunch). Kinda wished I knew ya in G'Burg Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

So where are you located?

Thanks.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Drat... That's a little too far from Bowie, MD.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde