folding table instead of leaves

Several years ago I saw a magazine article on making a dining table. The author suggested that instead of leaves, make the main table fixed and build a folding table that you add at the end. I recently tried to track down the article without success.
Does anybody know where this article appeared?
Or any comments on making a wooden folding table?

How about a drop leaf table? About the same the same principle that you are looking for. I have a really old cherry drop leaf that also has leafs. Goes from 28" long to 8' long with both leafs up and the 2 additional leafs in. But you wouldn't have to build it with the 2 center leafs just the drops.
Allen

Drop leaf means the leafs are at the ends and fold up and down, right? That makes the ends of the table unusable with the leaves down...unless the drop leaves are really short so they don't interfere with the legs of the person at the end.
On 3/19/2010 7:58 AM, snipped-for-privacy@cam.cornell.edu wrote:

My mother had a very pretty drop leaf table in her breakfast nook for a long time. She found it very inconvenient and finally gave it away.
I've seen one with a take-apart hinge on the drop leaves similar to <http://www.hardwaresource.com/index.php?l=product_list&c14
There's a design called a "draw-leaf table" in which the leaves pull out. She had one of those in her kitchen--it worked fine. Here's a discussion with some pictures of the mechanism <http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t $617>. I believe that there's discussion of it in "Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking" but I'm too lazy to dig out my copy and check for sure. Grizzly has plans for one for 5 bucks <http://grizzly.com/outlet/Draw-Leaf-Table-Plans/H6559> if you need more detail on the mechanism.

I've encountered this design under the name "dutch extension table".
The appeal of the design with a fixed table and separate folding end table is that I could buy a main table. This is something that I think would be to large for me to make in my small shop. And then I could make the folding end tables which would be of a more manageable size. I vaguely recall that the tables in the article were quite small, like the size of one leaf, and the author actually made two, one for each end. But it seems like the extra legs might make this setup less practical, so I was curious to see the details.
On 3/19/2010 12:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@cam.cornell.edu wrote:

Ah. I misunderstood the problem you were trying to solve.
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:17:43 -0700 (PDT), the infamous
following:

I don't think I saw that one. Have you tried the mags, like Woodsmith?

Can you say WOW!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlN000oxVkw

Now double that, at least:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHr2W4vWhBU
It's the coolest table I've ever seen, bar none.
-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Well, I thought it was in Fine Woodworking, so I searched their index, but no dice. Tried popular woodworking. Tried EBSCO, a giant database search my library supplies. Haven't found it anywhere. Woodsmith doesn't seem to have a searchable index....tried a google search of woodsmith.com but didn't turn up anything.

I saw a picture of one sort of like these where the leaves stored in a pillar at the table center, but it was not as slick as the table in your second video. I don't think I'll be building one of those, though....
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 06:07:11 -0700 (PDT), the infamous
following:

Those uckerfays require you to PURCHASE their index.

Cool, but not that cool, huh? (crosseyed just thinking about it)
-- Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991) --