Foam brushes

I have had this baggie with a few foam brushes in my drawer for a couple of years. I can't recall why I bought them, if in fact I did. I was finishing the backs of some drawer fronts and I thought the squareness of the foam brush would leave a nice clean line. I dipped it in Polyshades Minwax. and watched as the foam turned into a blob and saw it fall off the handle/stick onto my workbench. I said: "my goodness, I didn't expect to be inconvenienced in this fashion." . . . . . I now have some proper ones which do not dissolve in that ultra toxic volatile...poly? (That stuff wouldn't put a rash on a baby's bottom, for cryin' out loud.)
"Robatoy" wrote:

---------------------------- Polyester eats foam for lunch.
When in doubt, I use chip brushes.
Low cost throw away.
PITA if more than a few bristles release, but such is life.
Lew
On 10/5/2010 5:39 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Yeah, that's exactly what you said. :-) I've said the same thing myself many times!

Well hey, you didn't say what you did with the self-destructing brushes. Did you keep them "just in case"? If it were me I'd be tempted to find out if they also dissolve after they've been pissed on.

LOL.... I'm not that curious. I tossed them. But for $ 2.00 for a six-pack with 3 sizes, I'll stick to the ones I bought. Back to my Purdy's for the fronts of my doors etc.

Those were CHEAP foam brushes. Wooster makes foam brushes that do very well in oil and water based varnishes. I can very often clean the foam brush with thinner and re use it several times. These brushes typically have a plastic handle and ferrule.

Geez, I use mine for water poly all the time and I have great luck with them. I thought they were actually meant for oil poly and the likes. the ones I buy say not to use in shellac, but if you don't dilly-dally they work OK.
RP
On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 18:39:12 -0400, Robatoy

So foam brushes made from corn like the biodegradable peanuts that melt away in water.
Mark

Sortakinda like pouring lacquer thinner into a styrofoam cup.
On 10/7/2010 1:58 PM, Robatoy wrote:

What cup?

Dunno....was here a second ago....