Dovetail orientation

I have a small shop with limited make-up space. So I build small projects like keepsake boxes, miniature chest's of drawer, and the like.

I sometimes use dovetails in the cases. I'm wondering if there is a "classical" or other convention for the dovetail orientation, i.e.: pins facing up/side; tails facing up/side.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks a heap,

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

The tail acts as a wedge and won't allow the adjoining piece to slide out. That's why the boards with the tails are on the sides of the drawers - the tails keep the joint from being pulled apart when the drawer is opened. If it's a box or something where the load/stress is pretty uniform, it's a matter of taste. I usually prefer to see more tail and less pin, but I reserve the right to arbitrarily change my mind. ;)

RicodJour

For strength and uniformity DT joints are best begun and ended with half tails and they are generally on the piece that will be pulled.

Reply to
Leon

Hmmm.... half pins? Gotta assume a half thought there! Half tails leaves a half tail floating in the air... not to say it hasn't been done though. I've seen real Shaker pieces with half tails... probably by a new guy. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin