first table saw

Page 2 of 2

yeah. I picked up some wood. the prices are comparable to Aura. I like the fact I can look at all the wood they currently stock. Can't do that at Aura.
Dave
Patriarch wrote:

Maybe it is different where you are, but any surfaced wood I have seen is thickness planed, not face jointed. If it is flat, it is just luck. Likewise, the edges are never good enough to glue.

Apparently so.
but any surfaced wood I have seen is

S2S for me as that is what I was referring to is flat and typically milled to 13/16". It still needs to be planed to thickness and true to s2s it is never good enough to edge glue.

Agree. Depends on the supplier also. At CT Hardwoods, they ask me what thickness and in a minute it is done. I still don't have a jointer and I'm not in a rush to get one. I do use my planer though.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

toller wrote:

A very good point to remember, Matt. You're wise to float your question here and when you analyze the responses, analyze the track record of the folks providing them. See which folks are constantly cited as being wrong, then take a look at their critics and find out how many times THEY are shown to be wrong by somebody other than the person being criticized.
Some folks just belong in a junk filter but their comments are just so far off the wall that it's kinda humorous to anyone with half an ounze of common sense.
Regarding the pro's and cons of the quality of tools for a beginner, I would add that a quality tool used by a conscientious beginner may produce better results than would otherwise be achieved by the same beginner using a "mediocre" version of the same tool. That equates to less frustration, more enjoyment and, ultimately, the prospect that one will stick with the hobby and the higher quality tool purchased will truly be a better value to that user. Again, cry once or cry twice.
Enjoy the hobby.

Of course not. But you do anything with nothing, if you put the time and skill into it.
Worse than that, the tool alone is no substitute for a bit of skill - hence the number of dusty, abandoned router tables in the workshops of the disillusioned. Tools are good, but never let it be said that they're essential to making _anything_. You can make interesting pieces - chairs even - with a pile of logs and a drawknife.
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:56:42 GMT, Matt

I'd imagine just about any $500 saw is going to be nicer than what most guys start with. Hell, it's better than what a lot of guys retire with. If you've got the money, then go for it. My first table saw goes for about $180, but I got it on sale for $99 (Delta TS200). I'm replacing it soon, but it actually has done pretty well by me. I'm going to go out an a limb, and say that if it had a long enough arbor for a dado stack, I'd be keeping it for a few more years. As it is, I think I'm going to hang onto it anyway, just for sentimental value.

I was listening to a program on public radio several weeks ago where they were speaking with musicians about Stradavarius violins. The muscians all stated that they had a relationship with their instruments, and that as time went on, they were able to learn all the little imperfections of their equipment and use them to their advantage by cultivating a unique sound. Tools are like that. You don't want something that is terribly underpowered, or is so poorly manufactured that things are going to be breaking all the time, but you'll grow to understand the small things that make your tools unique, and learn to work with them. The brand doesn't really matter much anymore once that happens.

The difference in price is small - 14%. The way I look at it, you can either waste $70 (if you overbuy) or waste $500 (if you underbuy). I'd rather waste $70.
Check out http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/table-saw-reviews/fullstory.html
and http://www.woodnet.net/reviews/archive/table-saw-shootout /
Their "Editor's Choice" is the Delta 36-650 for $500 vs. the TS2412
One review of the TS2400 says it lacks table extensions and riving knife.
I see that there is also a TS2412 and TL2400LS - I'm not sure of the difference.
The TS3560 has 36" rip TEFC motor 120/240V 287 lbs Nicer fence and rails The TS2400LS has: 25" Rip 122 lbs
If you want true portability, moving it up stairs, on trucked, etc. Get the lightweight. Otherwise, the heavyweight.
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:56:42 GMT, Matt

I started out with hand tools, then bought several hand power tools. I used these tools for 10-12 years. When I finally got the space for a shop I bought a Powermatic 66, my first, and probably my last table saw. I recommend a General or Powermatic.
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:56:42 GMT, Matt

I just wanted to add another...
Right off the bat I wanted to say that unless you have a major need for the smaller portable dismiss it from your mind.... I am just afraid that you will find it seriously lacking
Go for a contractors style saw. ..and buy the one with the best fence or the fence you like the best.... I will never ever own a fence again that locks both front and back... been there done that and it sucks...others may disagree but that is my opinion......
Bob G