First project feedback, please

Okay, I signed up for the local adult ed class through the comm college. We need to select a project to attempt during the class. I'm thinking about the project on the below link.

Comments - too hard, too easy, just right for a first timer?

Thanks

Corey

I think it would be a good beginner project if you were working on your own, but in a class I'd go for something a little more ambitious.

Maybe something with a drawer or two?

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I agree with Dave. If you have the help of an instructor plus the range of equipment you'll have access to in the adult ed class I would recommend something with a bit more joinery. Maybe an end table with CD storage in a drawer or something like that. You should learn how to straighten and dimension wood and make simple joints like rabbet and/or dado joints.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

Hey Corey,

I'm with Dave on this one - I think you could build that one without any instruction on your own.

I did the same thing as you - adult ed class - about 5 years ago and I built

2 adirondeck chairs. That was a bit TOO much, although the chairs came out O.K. Depends on the tools available and time involved, too.

If I were you, I'd choose something like a couple of fairly straightforward bedside tables with drawers, or maybe a simple desk.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Too easy. Yes, it may be a nice item so the kids have something to play with, but what will you learn? How to cut plywood and screw it together.

I took a class at a Woodcraft store. We made a simple shelf that will hold CDs. Not fancy, not big, but we learned a lot.

The project included selecting the rough wood, jointing, Planing and cutting to size. The sides required a bandsaw to make the curve. Bottom was a flush fit, the two shelves were a dado, the back hanger is a rabbet. If the parts did not fit, we used a hand plane to adjust. We used scrapers to get a good finish. We used screws, we used dowels. The simple, small piece had a lot of different operations. The edges were rounded on a router table.

Since you will have the time of a teacher showing you how to do things, take full advantage of it. Choose something that will allow full use of as many tools as possible.

Projects to consider are: TV stand with a drawer or two. Small table with mortise and tenon apron. Magazine rack with mortise and tenon, curved top or divider. Spice cabinet with a couple of drawers on the bottom, doors on the top. Potato bin (U-Bild plans)

Don't be afraid to challenge your abilities. You have a teacher with lots of experience (I hope) that can show you the basics. He can save a lot of errors or at least bail you out if you do get in trouble. When I first looked at the sample CD shelf and the joints, I figured I'd never be able to get the fit so good. I did, I learned how, and now I can do it all the time. It was a great confidence builder as well as a good learning experience.

It is very satisfying to make a tenon fit perfectly with one pass of a shoulder plane. Enjoy the class, learn a lot, and you will have a very satisfying hobby.

One more thing, learn to sharpen and get a set of chisels. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Looks about right for a first project. Go for it!

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Morris Dovey wrote in news:GI71d.80$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

If you do this, however, think about at least using something that you can stain and finish, rather than paint.

THAT part of the process is more complicated than the Minwax commercials make it sound...

What does the instructor recommend? There are generally some guidelines...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Corey:

Too easy, this is better:

Mac Cool

I agree with, Mac. This is just the sort of thing that will teach you a LOT about joinery and wood selection, finishing, ect. After you make this, the play center project will be (pun intended) child's play.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 03:35:43 GMT, patriarch calmly ranted:

Why do so many people automatically include discoloring wood as a necessity of finishing? Sheeeeeit! You're tainting newbies before they've even started.

Ptui on that idea!

Dynamic, Interactive Websites!

Larry Jaques