First Nailer?

Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for advice on what nailer(s) I should consider for my shop (aka garage). After a DAGS, I came up with http://tinyurl.com/6r9lf or http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=lqH96.318427%24_5.72293398%40news4.rdc1.on.home.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dgroup:rec.woodworking%2Binsubject:gun%2Binsubject:first%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26selm%3DlqH96.318427%2524_5.72293398%2540news4.rdc1.on.home.com%26rnum%3D1 (if you like the longer version). It is an almost 4 year old discussion about nailers and I would like some more up to date discussion.
Although I am not new to woodworking or carpentry, I don't have a lot of experience in either and would class myself between a beginner and intermediate. I work in my garage. I have a Delta cabinet TS (X5), 13" planer, good router and a good compressor.
My near future building plans include a Router Table, bathroom cabinet, laundry room cabinet, replace all kitchen cabinets (oak) and then off to furniture after all that.
So, I guess I'm looking for brad and pin nailers? What guage would be better/best? I don't have an unlimited budget, but I don't plan on spending just $40 bucks either.
--

FMB
(only one B in FMB)

A hammer.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thanks, Andy, and you are very correct. I do have several of those though, and would like a pneumatic nailer or two. I should have been more specific.
--

FMB
(only one B in FMB)

"FMB" < snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net> a ιcrit dans le message de news:
βœ–

But why ? They're expensive, heavy, fussy on what size of nail they use and I still fail to see what benefit they deliver. I use plenty of air tools that do things I can't do by hand, but hammering nails in is easy (if not easier) to do manually. What's this big thing for nailers? -- I'm still not getting it
--
Smert' spamionam

Add pictures here
βœ–
Your sure not going to talk me out of my nailers.
cm

βœ–

If you're happy with your hammers I'm happy for you; I'd bet than nothing we do or say will convince you otherwise.
Some of us have automatic transmissions, microwaves, clothes dryers, and electric lights. None of them are needed, but we like having them anyway. We (in the US) even have Daylight Savings Time and it saves neither daylight nor time.
But it is still neat just to pull that trigger and Wham!. nail is set. ;)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yeah, but you're only holding things while the glue dries
Add pictures here
βœ–
Andy Dingley wrote:

They are certainly not required for woodworking. Indeed I use very few if any nails even for furniture. Carpentry is another story. There is nothing like a nailer for delivering a fastener to and out of the way place or any time that swinging a hammer is problematic. Just depends upon the use, I guess.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Add pictures here
βœ–
Andy Dingley wrote:

My finish nailer sure came in handy lately when I had to toe-nail some window trim through the top of the trim into the header and there was only 3" (76.2 millimeters) between the top of the trim and the ceiling.
βœ–

Try putting up a few hundred feet of crown moulding with a nailer and you may change your mind.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Andy Dingley wrote:

I have yet to hit my thumb with my brad nailer. My hammer, on the other hand...
-AD
Add pictures here
βœ–

I DID get my ring finger with a 2" 18ga brad, when doing trim moulding for my wife's den. Bled some, bruised more, pierced the nail from the fingerprint side. Healed in a month. Made for a story at work for a while.
I had my hand in the wrong place, and the brad seemed to have hit a framing nail. If I had been shooting the 1 1/4" brads that were in the other nailer, and were sufficient for the task, I would have not had any problem.
My PC's are fine. The compressor is pretty loud, though. What Bill said about the glue is true, though.
Patriarch
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 03:50:16 GMT, patriarch

"I escaped before they had me entirely nailed to that crucifix.", eh? <chortle>

I had my finger in the wrong place nailing a bird house back together for my neighbor. The brad hit a knot and went sideways into my finger 1/4". Those sting, so I have a renewed respect for the little buggers.
========================================================= CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ========================================================= http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Add pictures here
βœ–
Larry Jaques wrote: [snip]>

There is an old Swedish saying that goes something like "Don't get buggered by a brad nailer". Good advice any time.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:16:52 -0500, Adam Diehl
If you did though....
As to the "hundreds of feet of crown moulding" - well, I know a few people round here do this regularly, and they're the ones who have a good use for a pneumatic tool. For the rest of us though ? Last time I did crown moulding it was in tens of feet, not hundreds, and I still preferred the convenience of a hammer.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 11:12:52 +0000, Andy Dingley

it's either a difference in skill level (most likely) or number of hands, but I use my brad driver mostly for holding stuff while the glue drys... and I have enough trouble being coordinated enough to hold the clamp or work with one hand and nail with the other.. If i had to hold a nail in one hand and a hammer in the other, I'd have to promise to never chew gum in the shop.. lol
Add pictures here
βœ–

My brad driver is an ancient gadget called a "pushpin". Screwdriver-like handle, with a telescopic brass tube nose and a magnet inside. You drop a panel pin down the tube, place the nose on the moulding and push the handle. For things up to about 1" moulding pins it's great - I can either drive them flush, drive them nearly in and finish with a cross-pein hammer, or just half drive them so I can easily pull them later.
--
Smert' spamionam

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:57:45 +0000, Andy Dingley

damn, I actually have one of those around somewhere... not as fancy as yours, but I remember it working for brads in soft wood..
Add pictures here
βœ–

I like working with wood, but I am the first to admit that being in the IT industry doesn't give me the practice I need to nail with missing the nail and dinging the wood, drywall, my thumb, or whatever. I guess if I nailed for years and was a pro, a hammer would suffice. Nailing in awkward corners is much easier, too.
I guess like the Colt 45 (the pistol, not the beer), a nailer is the great equalizer.
Add pictures here
βœ–