First Dovetails!

I finally got to use my new dovetail jig for a project (Leigh D4R).
I assembled one of seven drawers today! Took me a while to get the hang of the D4R before I hit my 'real' drawer pieces with the dovetail bit.
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Dresser_Project.htm
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com
Stoutman wrote:
| I assembled one of seven drawers today! Took me a while to get the | hang of the D4R before I hit my 'real' drawer pieces with the | dovetail bit.
Looks good from here!

Thanks Morris. I wimped out in the back of the drawer. No dovetails there, just glue and screws.

Looks great, Stout. I can't wait to retire again so I can get at projects like that.

Damn, that's impressive!

Lookin' very good! Plenty of Stickley stuff is walnut, so your choice of wood needs no explanation.
When I check out project photos, I always get a kick out of how similar most of our driveways and front yards look, as well as the usual presence of some sort of trailer, as we woodworkers have better uses for the garage. I swear I could pick out the woodworkers in every neighborhood.
As David E. says, "Every neighborhood has one..." and in ours, each of us is him. <G>

For your first dove tails those look very good. They look very good for your first 1000. ;~)
I see you decided against the rabbeted DT's. FIY they are just a little more trouble and are basically cut with the same bit depth settings. You simply extend the drawer front out a bit farther forward in the jig, the amount of the rabbet. It does require a bit more calculating but the manual covers the steps very well.

Yep. I was actually a little intimidated. I think starting with standard HBDT's was a wiser move.

Stoutman wrote:

As others said, well done job w/ ensuring jig set up correctly before practicing on the drawer itself...
Only nit I'd pick would be to use a clamping caul on the front/side of the drawer instead of resting the clamp face directly on the work...

Thank you.