First Clock

Page 1 of 2
This is my first attempt at a clock. Turned out pretty well, though the wife doesn't like the spalted maple back......
http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/clock.htm
Add pictures here
βœ–
I really like the use of the spalted maple in that application.
Well done.
-Steve

βœ–

message
I think the spalted wood adds a nice touch, and I'll bet in person it looks even better. Nice job on the clock.
Robert
Add pictures here
βœ–
Stephen M wrote:

Same here. Maybe it's a woman thing. My wife doesn't like spalted maple either. I love the look of it. Nice job, Charlie.
Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop /
βœ–
Thu, Apr 5, 2007, 8:56am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Charlie M. 1958) doth posteth: This is my first attempt at a clock. Turned out pretty well, though the wife doesn't like the spalted maple back......
Yeah, it did. But I'll side with the wife on the spalted back, it makes it look like something in the top barfed, and it leaked down.
JOAT Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. (I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
Add pictures here
βœ–
J T wrote:

Thanks, guys. My wife will be glad to hear she's not alone, J T. From here and other sources I've gotten feedback from, most people either find the spalted maple back the best feature of the clock, or else they really don't like it at all.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Thu, Apr 5, 2007, 9:46am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Charlie M. 1958) doth sayeh: <snip> people either find the spalted maple back the best feature of theclock, or else they really don't like it at all.
Just remember, there's only two opinions that count; yours, and your wife's. And yours probably won't count near as much as your wife's. But, for what it's worth, I think that piece would look great as the top of a jewelery chest ot some such.
Keep the cat out of the shop. LOL
JOAT Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. (I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
Add pictures here
βœ–

listen to the ones who like it.
I'm one of 'em.
JC
Add pictures here
βœ–

The clock is very nice. As for the spalting can't say without seeing it for real but I assume it will be going in your wife's house so...
I really like this project and I hope you don't have it copyrighted because it just made it to my favorites under 'future project' http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/toolcaddy.htm
Add pictures here
βœ–
RayV wrote:

doesn't matter this time. :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message

Now, just who the hell do you think you're fooling? We, you, and SWMBO know that is NOT the case!
;)
Very nice and well done ... I really like the spalting, myself.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07
Swingman wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

I really like the spalting also, but I'm not sure I like it with the rest of the clock. The clock face and dark, evenly-colored solid wood case and trim suggest a very nice classical style, and IMO the spalted wood doesn't really fit in. I think if the clock face were simpler, and maybe the top & bottom molding were simpler too, that I would REALLY like it. As others have suggested, though, my opinion really doesn't matter here, and you didn't even ask for it. Out of curiousity, does your wife object to the spalting itself, or to the use of spalted wood in that application? Overall, the wood and workmanship look top-notch - keep up the good work! Andy
Add pictures here
βœ–
Andy wrote:

The way it is designed, the back comes off very easy and I could make a walnut insert so, in essence, it would be convertible. :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message

If you do, send me the spalted back and I will dispose of it for you, just in the interest of marital harmony, you understand. I mean, I would hate for your SWMBO to think that thing was laying around and might show up in some future project.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07
Swingman wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Charlie M. 1958" wrote

Swingman can't help it.
He is a gumbo man.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message

Heheh ... gumbo pot?
Mais cher, da rule #1 dat little coonass learn, him: "Take what you want, just make damn sure dat you eat what you take, cher ... comprenez, vous?"
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07
Swingman wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Andy wrote:

designer type who can pinpoint her feelings. I THINK she just agrees with your opinion that the spalting does not fit in with the overall design.
Add pictures here
βœ–