Finishing the mitre slot extensions on my outfeed table

I just finished building the outfeed table for my tablesaw and included 1x4 maple for the mitre slot extensions. I was thinking that I should finish them so that they do not move around due to humidity changes. Is this really necessary? Are there any issues with one finish versus another in this application? I was thinking that this might be a chance for my first foray into shellacland.
SteveP.
SteveP wrote: I just finished building the outfeed table for my tablesaw and included 1x4 maple for the mitre slot extensions. I was thinking that I should finish them so that they do not move around due to humidity changes. Is this really necessary? Are there any issues with one finish versus another in this application? I was thinking that this might be a chance for my first foray into shellacland.
Unless you're reversing the mitre gauge to crosscut wide pieces(when you should be using a sled), the slots needn't be perfectly tight. By the time most of the mitre gauge bar gets to the outfeed table, you're already past the blade. But I'd wax the heck outta the slots, anyhoo. Tom
I always cut mine a little wider and a hair deeper. I also drill a 3/4" hole at the back of the slot so sawdust wont pack in. Really all I'm looking for is a place the miter bar can go once it passes the blade.
Highland Pairos wrote:

Seems like overkill to have inserts. All you need is some clearance, plenty of clearance in fact. Finish if you'd like but not a requirement. Just looks nicer. Good place to try shellac. I use it on jigs and fixtures just to keep them clean.

Isn't overkill one of the key themes of this group? ;-)

Six coats of shellac, hand rubbed, on a push stick is not overkill.

Don't forget the 0000 and wax, twice!
And that's just on the sacrificial push stick!
The only reason that you should have those slots is to make way for the bar when it exits the back side of the TS table top. The slot has NO VALUE in guiding the bar and to prevent future binding should be made OVERSIZED.

Everyone seemed to focus on how tight the slots were. So I am taking that to mean that I should make the grooves loose enough that humidity won't be a factor and therefore finishing is not necessary.
Thanks for everyone's help.
SteveP.

Finishing them will help with keeping them clear of sawdust accumulation. The shellac is quick, easy and cheap, assuming you use the miracle potion already, and makes it easy to brush or blow the gunk out. That it helps some with humidity is also not a bad thing.
Wipe some in there, wax the sawtable while it dries, and get on to the next project. ;-)
Patriarch, who is glad there are no pictures of the funky slots in HIS outfeed table...
Thanks and believe me if you want funky you should see these. I always try something new on shop items and the trial and ERROR nature is usually evident.
SteveP.

It's supposed to be a learning experience.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Patriarch