Finishing cherry

I have just about finished assembling a cherry cabinet consisting of cherry veneered plywood sides and top with cherry hardwood moldings. I am noticing that the cherry veneer is a rose-reddish color while most of the molding pieces are a lighter red color. While I am new to woodworking in general, I am newer still to any knowledge of proper finishing. I attended a Woodcraft class that suggested a "spit coat" followed by a dye or gel stain. I haven't done anything yet. I would appreciate any help or suggestions on what I might do to vetter equalize the color. Thanks, Ken

Reply to
Ken Nuzum

Staining, gel or otherwise will usually solicit the wrath of many in this group.

Cherry will darken when exposed to sunlight. After using the finish of your choice, based on its intended use, lacquer, shellac, polyurethane or oil finish, expose it to the sun and it will turn darker and most likely more uniform in color.

For me, when I make something from cherry, I finish it and start to use it. The color will come. However, be careful when leaving stuff in one spot for long periods of time as the color will not darken as fast under something.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

It is a crap shoot. Cherry darkens. The plywood might be naturally darker, or it might have darkened a bit already. I would just leave it alone and take it as it comes.

But you could try seriously sanding a piece of scrap. If it doesn't get lighter, then it is dark wood and you might want to try a light stain on the lighter wood.

Reply to
Toller

I'm guessing that a spit coat is another name for a wash coat or a sealing coat?? Never hear that one. Ayway, uniformity is over-rated. Nature isn't uniform so why do we expect our furniture to be comletely the same. Yes, a big differential between sapwood and heartwood isn't very attractive in large doses but sometimes I find those little light flashes to be interesting. Kind of like knots and the surrounding swirl. Just my opinion.

Reply to
C & E

Just my personal opinion as a wood lover, but I'd let it darken or not, as it likes..

I really don't have a problem with the moldings not being the exact shade as the rest of the cabinet... a little contrast is a nice effect and IMHO the more natural cherry is, the better it looks..

OTOH, you could prime it with black latex until the glue dries.. *g*

Mac

mac davis

Boiled Linseed oil followed by coats of appropiate finish is what I always use. I'd guess the lighter color on the moldings are because they are freshly cut where as the ply has been exposed. So in the long run the moldings will deepen in color

Reply to
joedog90045

Lots of guys here hate staining cherry, and I'm no fan of it myself- but that being said, I've seen it done plenty of times on cabinets, and the standard procedure is to use a seal coat, spray on analine dye to even the color, and then top coat. You lose a lot of the depth of the wood, and the slightly green tones disappear almost completely- but it's consistant. And if that's what you need, the above works fine.

Reply to
Prometheus

Minwax gel stain in "Walnut" would even it out nicely.

JP

********************** (kidding)
Reply to
Jay Pique

That or paint.

Reply to
CW

Consult the bulletin boards at

books by Jeff Jewitt or Bob Flexner...plenty of info on staining cherry and evening out the color....

Reply to
eag111

Har! I just lurv painted cherry.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

OK. Funny, funny. I get it. I love the look of natural wood as well, but if I wanted to darken the sapwood just a bit, is there a way without loosing the depth and beauty of the cherry?

Thanks, Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

You might try exposing the sapwood to sunlight... if the unit assembled, I guess you could mask off the ply and let the trim get sun light? Mac

mac davis