Finishing Bubinga

Hi:
I have a project made of bubinga, but, since I have never used this wood before, I really don't know what kind of finish to use.
I am considering tung oil or water soluable poly. I don't want or need much darkening of the wood. It is quite dark enough already.
The project will require some gluing, and I suppose that I should use one of the dark products. What kind do most people use?
Jim
Jim wrote:
> I have a project made of bubinga, but, since I have never used this wood > before, I really don't know what kind of finish to use. > > I am considering tung oil or water soluable poly. I don't want or need much > darkening of the wood.
<snip>
Have you considered using BLO rather than straight tung oil?
Don't know how it affects bubinga, but it did a nice job on a white oak piece I just finished.
Lew
Jim wrote:

I used tung oil and was very satisfied. I wrapped a countertop next to a sink. It has stayed the same color hasn't darkened. mike

when I checked to container to see what kind of juice it has, all I could see was "contains Aliphatic Hydrocarbons". I thus wonder how much tung oil it really contains and is my experience with red oak directly applicable to bubinga?
I have considered BLO and have not thrown it out of consideration. At least, I would know what I am using.
Jim

It's funny how a finish that darkens one wood, may lighten another. I've used tung on bluegum and it turned a light orange-y timber into a beautiful rich glowing purple. I have also used it on a blonde gum and it darkened that less that the BLO control sample did. Go figure.
Nothing beats experimenting with the actual batch of the timber you are using, i.m.o.
Since you mention gluing and water based poly in your post also: I recently had a bad experience when I glued up a knifeblock with an 'improved' pva glue and finished with waterbased poly: the poly somehow reacted with one of the glue lines and caused it to swell and bleed under the finish :-( Curiously, the other glueline was unaffected.
-Peter

might not help...
Mostly used natural danish oil... doesn't darken very much and really brings out the grain pattern..
On pens and bowls, I like the look and feel of the bubinga just sanded and buffed with the beall system... the wood seems just oily enough to buff to a nice glow without any oil or finish...
Mac