Finish to Use

Sister-in-law wants some 11" x 16" plaques made up that she will paint and detail. The plaques will be mounted outdoors so I made up the blanks using white oak glued together using poly glue.
What should I finish them with to protect them for the next 100 years or so... that will still allow her to paint over them with exterior grade sign paint (I'm assuming an oil-based paint)?
I was thinking using some leftover Varathane I have, then sand it down lightly so she can prime and paint them. Anything else I should be using instead ?
The two plaques are for some of her friends that just purchased a business and she wants to place these plaques at the front entrance - so they will be exposed to the elements of mother-nature here in the northeast.
Thanks,
Bob S.
I'd use an oil-based pigmented exterior primer over an oil-based grain filler. They're going to move a lot, and that's why we like lots of oil in exterior paint. Latex will only allow latex over it.

using
sign
be
George,
Didn't even think of putting on a grain filler first but of course you're right. Thanks for the tips.
Bob S.

in
Why use poly glue? I have had success with TitebondII with oak and a lot of other domestic and imported woods.Even good old black walnut glues up well and last for along time. Just a tidbit to save your cents and time onglueing. Varathan will yellow and peel which haws been my expirence.Try Skidmoores beeswax products,I've had success with them in exterior usage.

using
sign
be
As for using the poly - because I had some.....and it was getting a bit dated, so I thought I'd go ahead and use it up.
My "other bottle" is Titebond II and use it for all my other projects.
Thanks,
Bob S.

and