Finish question on wood pens

I will be turning a box elder pen and pencil set for a friend shortly, and he asked about using a polyurethane or polycrylic finish on it to protect the finished set from finger oils and such.
I've never done that before on wood pens - any thoughts or comments on the idea? Other suggestions?
I normally use EEE-Ultra Shine and Shellawax Cream for my wood pens.
TIA
Matt
On 12/4/2011 5:20 PM, Matt wrote:

A very protective finish is Super Glue on a rag applied to the spinning wood. Polish out with very fine grit pads.
On Monday, December 5, 2011 10:09:26 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Yes, this comes out very nice. I use the gel glue so as to reduce splatter. Sucks when you glue your eyelids shut...
-Jim

Even worst when the eyeball sticks in the socket and won't rotate. WW

No sweat, Jim. Just soak your face in acetone! (Tearing up just thinking about it...)
-- With every experience, you alone are painting your own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice. -- Oprah Winfrey