Finish question

Hi all,
Need some help with a question for staining a maple cabinet. My wife has a certain color in mind and I need help figuring out how to replicate it. The color she likes is on the floor of a Home Depot. It is a Kraftmaid cabinet stained a color called Toffee. I am sure that this is some color unique to this company (at least Minwax doesn't sell anything called Toffee). Without having to buy every stain color on the market and testing it on many pieces of Maple does anyone have any advice as to how I can go about figuring a way to replicate this color on my cabinet? Thanks in advance. skeeter
ps Am a novice in this area so any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
Hi all,
Need some help with a question for staining a maple cabinet. My wife has a certain color in mind and I need help figuring out how to replicate it. The color she likes is on the floor of a Home Depot. It is a Kraftmaid cabinet stained a color called Toffee. I am sure that this is some color unique to this company (at least Minwax doesn't sell anything called Toffee). Without having to buy every stain color on the market and testing it on many pieces of Maple does anyone have any advice as to how I can go about figuring a way to replicate this color on my cabinet? Thanks in advance. skeeter
ps Am a novice in this area so any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
Maple is difficult to stain. I'd suggest a dye (homesteadfinishing.com) and some testing on scrap wood first. You can mix the dyes to get the color you want then seal it in with a good top finish.
-Bruce
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:00:03 -0700, Skeeter wrote

I'll secont this suggestion. I have a bottle of the mission brown and one each of the primary colors. It only takes a few minutes to make a good match. That reminds me... gotta pick up a color wheel.

You can order the stain from Kraftmaid. HD can order it for you.
HTH, Scott
Hi all,
Need some help with a question for staining a maple cabinet. My wife has a certain color in mind and I need help figuring out how to replicate it. The color she likes is on the floor of a Home Depot. It is a Kraftmaid cabinet stained a color called Toffee. I am sure that this is some color unique to this company (at least Minwax doesn't sell anything called Toffee). Without having to buy every stain color on the market and testing it on many pieces of Maple does anyone have any advice as to how I can go about figuring a way to replicate this color on my cabinet? Thanks in advance. skeeter
ps Am a novice in this area so any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
I ran into a similar problem with trying to match the stain on a piece of maple furniture we purchased. I took a piece of maple to WoodCraft and they let me wipe on any stain they had available to see how it would look. I tried several stains on the same sample board (maple) right next to each other. Someone suggested using the HomeDepot stain sample boards as a reference. I wouldn't recommend this. Different species of wood will respond differently to different types of stain. I think the sample boards at homedepot are pine? The best approach is to try the stain on a sample of your own wood.

Unless you a dyed-in-the-wool Minwax fan, try ZAR! Quality seems as good as Minwax, their "sample" chart in the store shows each stain on a couple of different woods, i.e. pine and maple, or pine and oak! Worth a try!
-- In golf, it's not the score that counts--it's the company!
In rec.woodworking

Ever tried Prelude Wipe On? The stuff is awesome but hard to find. I only know of one place in Houston that has it.
You are in luck, it's at Home Depot and so is the stain! Get the pc you like together with the stain sample board that they have and you're half way there!
If you're a novice, no one can teach you much in a couple paragraphs here. Do some research online or buy a book to get some good pointers.
Good luck, Harry