Finish for aquarium stand ?

What would make an attractive finish for an aquarium stand in white maple trim and plywood veneer ?
I wouldn't mind a slight red/orange tint but am hoping for something close to natural. I used an oil-modified polyurethane on the inside of the cabinet, which is also subject to getting wet from time to time. It is probably bulletproof, but the tint is much too yellow for the outside. Perhaps a water based lacquer ?
Obviously the finish has to be very tolerant of water, and needs to seal the wood and joints well. Otherwise it is a piece of furniture and does not need any great toughness or wear resistance.
I could spray any water-based finishes but would have to wipe or brush anything that's not water-based. Something that does not require great skill to apply and dries within a day ...
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:25:02 -0800, George Pontis

Water based poly, if you want a water clear finish.
Barry
Suggest Fuhr 255 urethane. WB, non -yellowing and several coats in one day. JG