Fine Woodworking on Disk

Page 3 of 3
Test Tickle wrote...

Maybe not completely worthless. It might be good for a newbie to see the reviewer's evaluation methods. Could be useful for folks buying used tools, too.
Jim

True enough.
tt
would any of you who have this disc be willing to somehow send me a table of contents of an index of these 600 articles??? i would rather pony up for the whole set if this is rather thin...
william

On 14 Jan 2004 09:37:52 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (William) wrote:

the FWW website. The pdf documents that you can pay to download are essentially those on the disc. I don't think there really is a way to print out a TOC. You can do searches of the online archive to see what turns up, and if it is to your liking.
tt
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 02:19:53 GMT, "Windy Wood <jcarste1@" <"NOSPAM>nycap.rr.com"> wrote:

It's not a complete collection, it's "selected articles" and, at least IMO, not worth the price.
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:10:22 GMT, Brian Henderson

This approach puzzles me with collections on CD. It really doesn't take much more work to put the entire magazine on there, ads and all. From a historical perspective that is one of the best things about old magazines - the ads for stuff we wouldn't even consider ponying up money for. For many years I saved one of my early Byte magazines, where you could mail order a 5 *megabyte* hard drive for your Apple II, as long as you were prepared to shell out about $8,000!
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Guess this approach keeps the prices up on the original hard copy mags.
TomL

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:42:27 -0800, Tim Douglass

I love the ads too, and particularly enjoy seeing which new toys did or did not succeed. There was some pretty strange contraptions out there. But I also imagine there could be some sort of legal problems with reprinting ads -- can you imagine the boneheads that will try to order that TS at 1986 prices? Otherwise it would be less work to scan whole pages and issues and NOT crop out the ads and such.
tt
I know that it is wrong period but makes you tempted to get access from sombody and burn a copy of the disk. I would not do it but non the less am tempted
--
Chris Pine

www.penartists.com
reply ot me> wrote:

to larceny? Were you perhaps soliciting offers while trying to appear not to?

I've done it with the first year of WOOD before I sold the mags themselves on Ebay. I used a scanner OCR and Adobe Acrobat. the hard part was turning the pages and putting a blackout sheet behind the scanned page for each scan. recreating a searchable digital recreation of the Mags themselves was easy.