Fine Woodworking on Disk

Page 1 of 3
Has anybody sprung for the $150 for the Fine Woodworking complete collection on CD rom? I'm tempted but I've got about half of the issues going back to #3. Windy Wood
I have this on disk - one thing to note: It's not the complete collection. Rather, it's a best of. I haven't used it extensively yet, but the few times I have used it I was able to find an article that answered my questions.
It seems very well put together with several different indexes:
Articles by Topic (with category & subcategory) Index of articles by title and author Methods of work by title and issue date
It's all acrobat based and also makes use of acrobat's search functionality.
Dave

Dave
Would you share you disk with us. I would like to look through it without having to cough up the cash
Thanks in advance

Dusty keeps asking:

You expect these people to send you their disks for a bit? Or do you want them to send you copies of coopyrighted material, thereby breaking the law for someone they don't know?
Charlie Self "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine
The second choice naturally. What do we care if someone gets busted just as long as we get a copy of the software. :)

Idiot troll!
STING!

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 02:19:53 GMT, "Windy Wood <jcarste1@" <"NOSPAM>nycap.rr.com"> wrote:

I have it and enjoy it very much. As someone else said, it doesn't have every artickle from FWW, but it does have an awful lot. Some reasons are obvious -- a fifteen year old tool review no longer has much value. I think I'm only missing two issues from the whole run, but find the CD to be very worthwhile.
tt
PS Some things are complete, such as all of the "Methods of Work" columns.
Test Tickle wrote:

What about the project plans? Are they all there, or just a best of?
...Mike

So far, all of the plans I've looked for have been there. But, it is frustrating not knowing what is missing. If they could include a Table of Contents, like they do on their website, so you could see which articles are included and which aren't, it would be very welcome.
It's alot of money, and I waited and looked around at libraries and such, but I finally broke down and bought it. I'm happy, but your mileage may vary.
tt
Well, you COULD pony up a few more bucks and buy the entire set of issues in an EBay auction. Upside is you get to look at the pretty covers and get all the articles including the adverts. Oh yeah, and disk is pretty much useless while you're sitting on the crapper.
TomL
Humbug! That's what craptop computers are for. They'll even let you read the disk in the outhouse, but are kind of useless when you're out of paper.
Art

from the murky depths:

Woodworking-related ads are the one type I actually READ in a mag. But an incomplete set of FWW on the disc? That's assinine! What were they thinking, and at THAT price? <tsk tsk tsk>

WHAT? You don't keep your laptop in the throne room? Whassamatta you?
---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment http://www.diversify.com Website Applications =================================================
that is actually "whatssamatta yew", a very tight grained and difficult wood to work with. ;-)
Larry Jaques wrote:

6 computers in the house, and 1 laptop for the crapper. Yes I'm a computer geek. Best one I ever put in was the one "integrated" into the workbench. Got access to the web, my music, email, NG, everything.
Mike Rinken
Creamy Goodness wrote:

How many are actively used? I have 7 but the old 80486-33 and Pentium 166 haven't been powered up in months. I should get rid of at least the 486 but it would feel a little like shooting an old relative in the nursing home. ;-) Gateway's 2nd of the top of the line, first model with a fast graphics slot, MS Access 2.0 programming *rocked* when I upgraded from 8 to 12 MB of RAM...
-- Mark
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 00:40:20 +0000, Mark Jerde wrote:

I'm down to three machines since the thinkpad died. One is a desktop 486 firewall running linux. When I had broadband available, it also ran a mail server (sendmail) and webserver (apache), but since I moved and dialup is the only option, it just does firewall duty and I got a hosting company for email and web server. My "screamer" is a upgraded 286 chassis with a AT2 MB and a pentium 233MMX running Linux (also is a file/print/scanner server for the OL's machine), and the OverLords machine is a Cyrix 333 (I think really a 266MHz) running Windoze 2000.
Yup, right on the bleeding edge....
-Doug
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:17:21 GMT, Doug Winterburn

How about disc space? I bet mine is bigger. In my primary desktop I have a 30GB, 80GB, two 120 GB, and three 160 GB. And I still find I have to move stuff around to make room.
tt
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 04:48:05 +0000, Test Tickle wrote:

Well, I really was trying to explain my minimalist setup, and how far out of the times I am.
Firewall: 486 DX100, 64MB mem(maxed) 512MB-Ide, RH6.2
My Desktop: pentiumMMX 233MHz, 256MB mem(maxed), 8GB SCSI/60GB-IDE, RH9/XDE2
OverLords Desktop: Cyrix 333, 256MB mem(maxed), 8GB-IDE, MS-Win-2K
I have plenty of room as I keep archives on CD-R/RW. Probably using 30% of disk space.
-Doug
Test Tickle wrote:

Hopefully you're doing something like video editing and not just trying to get Word documents the bosses like... ;-)
I bought my first PC in 1983. I spent the extra approximately $2000 to get a 10 MB hard disk. "10 *mega* bytes? My god, what will you do with all that space???" In MS-DOS 1.0 with the 8.3 naming limitation that was a valid concern. (This was before Bill G. invented subdirectories. <g>) Have you ever tried to manage 800+ 8.3 files in the same directory? I was a (pre-ANSI) C programmer and had boatloads of extensions. *.ssa for assembler, *.sso for objects, *.ssy for a financial arithmetic library, *.ssx for ...
Later on the 8086 machine was upgraded to 92k (that's k, not M) of RAM so a debugger could run.
But woodworking machines haven't changed very much in the same timeframe... <g>
-- Mark