filling gap with wood powder - how?

I'm not woodworker but now I'm facing the problem with wood. I have to fill the gap between the solid mahogany boards - it is a top of the table. The gap is less than 1/16". I collected the desk from palm sender when the top was sand and mixed it with polyurethane - I was hoping to get the same color what the board are but this mixture turned black. How to use original mahogany powder to get matching color? Thank in advance Adam
The best approach, if you have any tools, is to re-cut, then re-glue together properly. A thin-kerf table saw cut would do the trick.
If I had a mahogany table I wanted to show off and had no resources [tools], I'd take it to someone competent who can do it for me and pay the price.
For matching colour, look for a suitable painting tube [as used by artists.] You can match colour and use lightly or heavily. To use, squirt some into a jar and add pure turpentine. Shake well, and apply the stained liquid to whatever you want to stain. Practice with some other similar material if possible.
Bill.

This is good advice. You can buy filler for common hardwood at various retailers, but it doesn't work very well. The biggest problem is the shrinking and expanding that naturally occurs when wood is exposed to changing humidity. On a table there is also the risk of direct contact with water as well. If you don't already have a humidifier in the home then that might be a good idea, especially in the winter. As the wood expands and contracts through the seasons, your filler will be squeezed out, and then more unsightly cracks will appear as the filler dries. In then end, you may wonder why you put filler in there at all.
Dave