filling the gap

just had some new upvc french doors fitted. builder cut the hole in the wall, fitted a pair of concrete lintels and screwed the door frame to the walls.

now there is a gap of about 10mm above the frame up to the lintel for the whole 6 ft width.

whats the best way to fill the gap? i;m averse to expanding foam as its so messy and always oozes out all over he place.

also, the door seems to require fixing in the centre in the top and bottom frames, but the instructions said only screw the side frames to the wall.

what would a fensa guy do?

Reply to
tiscali

Get the builder back to put the correct upvc strip across the top to finish the job off properly. I am sure the strip will cost him all of £2.50.

Reply to
EricP

use foam but use it properly i.e. don't overfill. evostik now do a 2 part foam which sets rock hard in about 1 min and doesn't expand as much as traditional fillers.

Reply to
.

Do you have a product name?

Reply to
Andy Hall

yes, but it's in "professional plumber" magazine or summat and that's in the mrs's car. I'll dig it out tomorrow and let you know.

Reply to
.

I've used the 2-part Fischer product from Screwfix:

is indeed far more controllable than the can variety, and expands perhaps only half as much. It doesn't set rock hard in 1 minute - it takes maybe 20 minutes to fully harden.

Reply to
Grunff

That's not bad. I guess that this uses the same mixing technique as the mortar and epoxy material for their stud fixings....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, the mixing takes place in a long nozzle. This nozzle isn't reusable, so the tubes are pretty much single-use.

Reply to
Grunff

Just mask off the surrounding area (window, reveals etc) with newspaper/masking tape and use normal foam, You can cut it back after it has set. Then fit UPVC trim. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Buy a foam gun - so much better than the cans. I had to use a can again the other day. Never again!

auctions

I found that Fischer do a kit of stuff for their fixing system including a bunch of nozzles and various other bits and bobs. I was concerned about the single use thing. In reality it wasn't a problem and it worked out overall less expensive to buy the smaller tubes of gunk and keep the extra nozzles.

Reply to
Andy Hall

BEWARE

I tried this stuff and it set hard in the nozzle within 10 seconds of taking finger off the trigger. Two canisters wasted at £8 each!

I can only assume the temperature (about 12 degrees C) caused the problem.

Reply to
tiscali