Blocking gap beneath upvc door

I've got an external upvc door in the kitchen that's got a 1cm gap underneath it.

The old flooring was wood laminate, but this was replaced with vinyl some time ago, which has resulten in a gap.

Photos:

's a draft coming in through this gap, and I'll probably get mice coming in soon, so I want to block it up properly. Currently I've got a bit of wood that blocks most of it, but that's just a temporary bodge.

What's the proper way to seal below a upvc door? Do I need to take the frame out, or can it be done in place (I'm hoping for the latter of course).

If the frame needs to come out, is there a short term solution that will last the winter that's better than my bodge with a bit of wood?

Reply to
Caecilius

> There's a draft coming in through this gap, and I'll probably get mice

I'd be tempted to use the uPVC board sold for roofline work. Soffit or Fascia capping board to fill in the gap. Thinnest is about 10mm.

From the first picture I thought it was a misfitting door rather than a dirty great gap between the floor and the base of the window frame!

Reply to
Martin Brown

I would be tempted to fill the gap with cement or similar and cover with pvcu trim. E.g.

using thunderbird. Hopefully the link will work without messing about!

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

>>> There's a draft coming in through this gap, and I'll probably get mice

there is a frame sealant especially for exterior pvc use

I would just get a piece of upvc trim such as one of the products here

stick it on with the sealant

Regards

Reply to
TMC

> and stick it on with the sealant

expanding foam could also be used but I am not personally a fan of it as I always seem to put too much in and then spend agess tidying it up

Regards

Reply to
TMC

The cans are horrid - its worth getting a proper gun and low expansion foam. The low ex stuff can be hard to get, so you can use the plasterboard fixing foam instead (which is better mechanically). But probably not work getting a gun for one tiny job. Foaming round windows with high ex foam and a can is, well, hilarious. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Thanks for the link. That looks like just the sort of thing I need to cover the face of the gap once I've filled the gap itself with something.

Reply to
Caecilius

frame!

And with the title as well...

Agreed what ever goes into that gap needs to be good in compression. One shouldn't tread on a threshold but people do and being plastic frame it doesn't have much strength, it needs to be properly supported.

As there is a draft that imples a hole through to the outside, before sealing up the inside make sure the outside is water tight. Check that there is something underneath the frame on the outside, installers seem to "forget" that bit quite often.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, the gap goes all the way through to the outside.

Reply to
Caecilius

I had that problem when we bought this house, it has three outward opening UPVC doors and all of them had gaps under them. I solved the problem with these.

have been in 7 years now and are fine.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike