Files for Japanese-style handsaws

I bought a file for sharpening the Japanese-style handsaws, and it was dull after four uses. Does anyone know where I could find one of these files that would prove to be more durable?

Saw sharpening is tough on files.
ISTR that Tom Law only got about four saws sharpened per file using Nicolson (sp?) and used one file per saw if he used Chinese files.
There is an acid etching technique for resharpening files. I don't know much about it, but there used to be a guy doing them by mail order.
--
FF

Four uses per file is actually rather good life.

I'd expect a bit longer than this (maybe 8), given that the usual file for this has four faces and a Japanese saw is usually quite short. Saw sharpening _is_ hard on them though and files are regarded as consumable. I don't re-sharpen my Japanese saws, but for Western saws I mark the triangular saw file's edge after each use and only plan to use it for one hand saw or two short backsaws.
I'm also curious as to where you even found the right files for Japanese saws? Only well-known place I know is Lee Valley.

They seem to be getting more commonly available, as are the various replaceable-blade "pull saws" You can't quite get them at Menards just yet, but Rockler, Woodcraft and Berlands House of Tools have them.

Watch the cheaper saws for sharpening - they're often induction hardened points and even thinner than usual. Those are effectively unsharpenable.

Really - I'v been looking for a good excuse to buy more of a thoroughbred one anyway. Although sharpening was effective on the cheap ones I did sharpen - at the expense of my file, maybe. I do like the button release on the handle of the cheapies. I've taken several of these and cut the dull front part of the blade away with a Dremel cutoff wheel to make really useful keyhole saws.

Have you tried the Japan Woodworker in Alameda, CA?
URL to their files:
http://japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?dept_id 082
MJ Wallace

That sounds about right, 4 uses means a thosand or more strokes on steel near as hard as the file itself.
Daily Grind Sharpening Service