Japanese knotweed

I'm trying to obtain some Japanese knotweed. I'd need a cutting of the rhizomes. Does anyone know where I may be able to obtain this plant? I live near Cambridge and would like to pick up some locally.

Thanks

Reply to
kathy19

You do know that it is actually illegal to plant this stuff?

Reply to
Owdboggy

Yes. I don't want to plant it. I want to use it for a chemistry experiment.

Thanks

Reply to
kathy19

In message , kathy19 writes

Japanese knotweed (Fallopia japonica) is one of the more problematical invasive plants in the UK, and "it is an offence to plant, or otherwise cause to grow, the species in the wild". Soil containing its rhizomes is also considered "controlled waste", and must be disposed in restricted fashion.

Because of this is it rarely available for sale.

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley

If it is that pervasive, it should be easy to find a wild plant and take whatever you want from it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

In message , Chris writes

It is also illegal to dig it up plants without the consent of the landowner. So you not only have to find a wild plant (you have to find the landowner as well). In the case of Fallopia japonica you also have to avoid spreading the plant around in the process.

Also, it is relatively scarce in the Cambridge region, compared to the rest of the country.

Reply to
Stewart Robert Hinsley