Festool

Page 3 of 4
Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:

You notice I didn't say the tool wasn't a good tool...
I _still_ think they're overpriced, though, and that their marketing plays into the elitist club thing. W/ sufficient markup on individual tools, they don't need the tremendous volume. Great for them if they can continue to make it work.

Festool has been around for a very very long time, just not in the spot light until some what recently. I suspect that if the pricing policy did not work it would have been changed many years ago. Fortunately the pricing policy affords the dealer the ability to get involved with the customer more so that other brands.
Leon wrote: ...

Think??? :)
What they've done is go from the pro-only to the high-end consumer and hobby market (in the US). W/ that they've used the "elitist touch" quite successfully to move the talk from "damn! that's expensive" walk away to the discussions like this one--"tha's a damn fine tool even at that price.".
I _still_ don't think they're actually _worth_ the premium, but as you say, it's a model that seemingly works for them.

And for you and many others the brand very well may be a waste of money. Personally I think Skil and Ryobi are over priced.
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:28:39 +0000, Leon wrote:

How about that! Something Leon and I agree on :-).

How bout that, Larry. ;~) One of the two of us is not totally unreasonable. LOL
"dpb" wrote:

Think maybe they took a page from book of their neighbor Mercedes?
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote: ...

Yep...I had thought that precisely, actually...

People buy Mercedes for functionality? Status symbols, maybe? As cars go, they're not all they are made out to be.
You think people buy Festool as a status symbol?
"Robatoy" wrote:
You think people buy Festool as a status symbol?
You tell me.
Lew

Okay then:
How would people know you bought any? You don't park them in front of your house for all to see. Nobody really knows what the hell a Festool is. The few that know are hardly a big enough audience to try to impress. Personally, I bought that product because it is outstanding. And that is a helluvalot more than I can say for Mercedes.

How would people know you bought any? You don't park them in front of your house for all to see. Nobody really knows what the hell a Festool is. The few that know are hardly a big enough audience to try to impress.
Sure, you're right. But, under the right circumstances, one person is a big enough audience to try to impress. Given the chance to show off a new tool to woodworking buddies, most people would go for it. I'm not embarrassed to say that if I had some woodworking friends in my workshop, I'd likely pull a Festool Domino out of its case to show it around. It wouldn't come close to the status symbol of a new car sitting in the driveway, but it would still make me feel good to show off a new toy ~ a new toy that most others wouldn't have.
Does that make me out to flaunt status symbols? Maybe, but it would be a status symbol that I'd also be using when opportunity called for it. Maybe the difference is that I like to use my status symbols, not just put them out solely for display purposes.
wrote in message

Swingman had to sit through my presentation of my Domino. I don't think he had to cringe too much. :~) It was pay back, he showed me his Multrouter first. LOL
If it was bought to flaunt it would be pretty dumb IMHO, but if it is used that is different.
It's like buying a 4-wheel drive to get to and from work in town where it rarely ever snows, and has never had mud on it.
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.

Some people I know buy SUV's to get a sturdy vehicle that will protect them in a crash. Also, 4 wheel drive can be useful (and safer) on rain slick surfaces. Modern cars that are lightweight and fuel efficent don't stand up well to accidents.
asmurff wrote:

Which we all know happens all the time. That's why people have these big 4WD SUVs that have never left the asphalt.
--
Blog Me! http://BitchSpot.JadeDragonOnline.com

"Robatoy" wrote:

How would people know you bought any? You don't park them in front of your house for all to see. Nobody really knows what the hell a Festool is. The few that know are hardly a big enough audience to try to impress. Personally, I bought that product because it is outstanding. And that is a helluvalot more than I can say for Mercedes.
The key word is "perception" or "perceived value".
They are not selling the steak, they are selling the sizzle.
It just so happens it is also a pretty good steak.
To pull it off, they need only to create the need in the gut of the buyer.
Lew
No I don't think people buy tools as a status symbol. I believe most of us buy the best we can afford taking into account the amount of use, our skill levels and whether we are DIYers, avid hobbyist or professionals. And we do have to take into account our income.
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.

I can't understand that parallel, either.

Elitist marketing causes buyer's remorse once the item is in use. It works great in the short run. Where's the Festool race car?
This elitist marketed tool has a no questions asked return policy, still available AFTER you use the tool heavily. But the reality is many Festool buyers are repeat customers. How many other tool manufacturers have the confidence to offer a 100% money back guarantee?
Don't you think all the pros (where a tool is simply overhead) who use them would have returned them in favor for the 1/3-1/2 price competitor?
Why would the same guys buy more of them?
I'm not talking about yuppies who never use the stuff except as a collection to walk the buddies through, but the guys who often work alone, with nobody to impress. I'm also not talking about the guys who hang out in front of Home Depot and hack together storage sheds, vinyl siding, and basic decks.
I own zero Festool products right now, so I'm not justifying my own purchases. It's just that every one of their tools I've fondled has been a fantastic item with advances, creating real value. Kinda' like a powered version of a Lie Nielsen tool.
I thought LN was elitist, until I used one... <G>