Fastening a table top

Looking for suggestions on your favorite way to fasten a solid wood table top to the apron.
I have been thinking of using the method where a wood block with a tongue is screwed to the underside of the top and the tongue fits into a groove in the end aprons. This then allows the tongue to slide in the groove as the top expands and contracts. If you use this method what do you do on the sides? Here the movement would be in and out from the groove, not along it.
The top will be about 40" wide in Oak.
Thanks for any suggestions John
Biscuit jointer to cut the slot in the apron and L tabs screwed into the top.
Cut the slots in the side apron deeper then the bracket is long.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

Try these. They are terrific. http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 3-353 I wish I could buy them at Lee Valley.

You'll be able to in a few months....being made now...
Cheers -
Rob Lee

hehe The bitching woodworker get's the grease. Looking forward to them Robin.

do
Those look neat, but would they be OK to use on the sides of the table, where the movement would be parallel to the grain?
Ed
You will get very little movement in the length of the grain. In most hardwoods it is a non-issue.

into
the
On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:29:19 +0000, John Siegel wrote:

that way happens to be *my* favorite. The common name for such a thing is a "button block".
that is fine, just make sure you don't bottom the little tenon out when installing it. if memory serves me oak will only grow about 1/8 of an inch over one foot of width, 40 inches would be less than 1/4" into each hole ( a rough guess-timate ) and quater-sawn tops only move 1/2 as much as flat sawn glue ups, so that may be a consideration when building.
i make the mortice roughly 1/4 to 3/8 shy of the outside of the apron and just wider than the end of the block.... I do not make the running groove type like I've seen before, it weakens the apron and looks shabby and gives the spiders a home.
the wooden button block is the most graceful IMHO, HTH
--
The idea is to die young as late as possible.
-- Ashley Montagu
"John Siegel" wrote in message

Slotted screw holes in cleats screwed/glued to the apron and/or figure eight table top fasteners.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04