Extra long brad points in HSS please

Page 2 of 2

"Duane Bozarth" wrote

Duane, you have the exalted kung fu catalog touch down pat. You are no doubt a master of sorts.
I did not see a way to access their print catalog. Here is the page.
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/cat/p/051.htm
Lee Michaels wrote:

I didn't use the web site, as noted I just stumbled over them (undoubtedly again, but then I wasn't interested before) in the printed version...
Lee Michaels wrote:

Well, I accepted the challenge... :)
From the home page searching for "brad point" leads to a set of links the second of which is
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/drlbrad.html
which shows item #9150 at the top left hand of the page...

Problem I have with those guys, it's either HCS or carbide tipped. No HSS. Take a look at this: http://www.bitsnbores.com/ click "Tool catagories".
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Lee Michaels wrote:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/forsext.htm

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/drlbrad.html
Right but those flutes are way too short and they are definitely HCS... who would want that?
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Here is another set:
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 0-791
Lee Michaels wrote:

That link is in my previous reply to bridger though the last set of numbers is different.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Try these folks http://www.woodtechtooling.com/Forest_City_Tooling/forest_city_tooling.html
Well... in any case thanks for all the input and help guys, I appreciate it.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

I bought one only though, an HSS 1/2"-er that is 10" long with 7-1/2" of twist. They give really fast service which I like. I think for the quality, which is genuine, it is really the way to go. $26.xx + s/h.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Lots of planks, lag screws, etc. I found that the garden variety bits were not serving me very well. I had a friend refer me to a commercial supplier. I walked into a big room with counters, a bunch of counter guys and huge warehouses in back.
I told them what I wanted. They went in back and got the few bits I needed in the sizes I required I went with one of each and two of one size. When they told me how much they cost, I almost fainted. Recovering my composure, I paid the man. It was a smart move. Those bits worked flawlessly and hardly ever needed sharpening. I still use them 25 years later.
You get what you pay for.

was part of my decision. I think I'll build up a set of the 8" long brad drills slowly over time, it will be worth it. And what I got, just "well made" all the way.