Exterior wipe-on oil

I'm refinishing a small drop leaf table I made for SWMBO to put outdooors. I tried Minwax Helmsman clear satin which looked great for awhile then it started to flack off after being in the sun.

Top is cedar and base of hickory. I saw on HGTV someone putting on a wipe-on oil finish but didn't catch the brand. Anyone had any experience with such a product? Like to put on something that will last at least a year outside. We're in the NW with lots of rain but it sits under the patio roof so gets lots of sun and no rain.

I've researched several products but I really don't trust the advertising, rather go on someones experience.

Thanks in advance. Al in WA

Reply to
Al

I used boiled linseed oil on my adirondack-style chair that sits outside all summer. Apply early in the season and give it a week to cure. Reapply every spring.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

General Finishes "Outdoor Oil". Has UV screen, heat stablizers, and fungicide or anti whatever (keeps that lovely green stuff from growing on it). Its a penatrationing oil, doesn't build a film, and can be refreshed when it starts looking a bit dried out. I used it on a set of redwood gates I built for a client and his only complaint after 2 years was the gates weren't turning that nice silver color like weathered redwood is supposed to. They were still beautiful and red like new.

Reply to
Max Mahanke

Olympic Maximum

The cedar tint is better than the clear regarding UV protection.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I am also in the NW and use General Finishes Outdoor Oil. I have the same comments as above.

Reply to
Frank Drackman