ExtensionCordGauge

I did google, but I'm still confused.

My table saw draws 15 amps. I have been using a 100 ft 16 gauge extension cord to run her, but I found out recently that this is to wimpy a cord. My manual recommends a 12 gauge extension cord not exceeding 50 feet.

My question is if I go to 100 feet of extension cord, is 12 gauge still ok? I guess do to the voltage drop with the longer cord that I may need a 10 gauge cord?

Reply to
stoutman

Kevin DeVulder
100 foot cord! You need a power cart with GPS to go from the workbench to the saw! :)
Reply to
???

You don't need GPS, you just follow the bright orange cord! :)

Reply to
stoutman

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:17:10 GMT, "stoutman" wrotg:

Here's some numbers for you:

16 ga is 0.4016 ohms per 100 ft. = 6.024 volt drop at 15 amps 12 ga is 0.1588 ohms per 100 ft = 2.38 volt drop at 15 amps

I'd say 12 ga is fine.

John, in Minnesota

Reply to
John

The extension cord should say how many amps it can handle. If your 100ft 12 gauge says 15a is okay, you are fine. Since we don't know what the insulation is made of, we can't really say.

That is just what is safe. Whether it is reasonable is a whole other story. Unless the outlet is right next to the panel, 15a is a lot to put through a 100' extension cord; don't do it unless you have to as it is probably not good for your motor. Somebody pointed out the voltage drop was not too bad, but he ignored the voltage drop to the outlet.

Reply to
Toller

Go to a 10 guage if over 50'.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

As it is, you have a disaster waiting to happen.

I have a 100 ft power cord for my saw, it's 10 ga; however, it is also wired for 240V service.

If you ever try to rip 8/4 white oak, you will understand why.

For your application, if you decide to use 12 ga anyway, at least operate at

240V.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Mine's bright yellow.

Charlie Self

"In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy as a prisoner's chains." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Reply to
Charlie Self

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Mostly good stuff here, but 8 is not necessary. The advice to go to 240V is good. Why not staple a piece of Romex to the ceiling and be done with it. Portable cordage is very expensive!

12 will do fine at 120V, unless you are running max load or more. At 240V,
Reply to
Wilson Lamb

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:38:45 -0600, John wrotg:

Dang, screwed up that one. You must figure 200ft because the 2 wires. I knew that. Yup, 12 is definitely out. 10 is on the edge. 8 would be the safest way to go, especially figuring the voltage drop to where you're plugging it into. Sorry for the mis-info.

John, in Minnesota

Reply to
John

No ceiling to staple to. I'm running power to a workshop in the backyard. If I owned this place (I rent) I would run some conduit and permanent power out there. This is a temporary situation.

Reply to
stoutman

How about 50 feet of 12 gauge at 110 V ?

Reply to
stoutman

I don't know enough about electricity to know if this idea is any good, but I've wondered about building an extension cord that uses two identical sets of conductors. The male end could be two plugs. The female ends would connect to the proper locations on a standard dual outlet. Would this work?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Thanks to all who posted. I need to seriously reconsider my power situation.

Do they make a cordless table saw? Just kidding.... :)

Reply to
stoutman

And duh, use only one of the two outlets on the female end.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

calculator requires #8.

2) 3% is a code requirement for branch circuits. It has nothing to do with extension cords. As I indicated above, 100' is probably not a good choice, but if the extension cord is rated for 15a, it is legal.
Reply to
Toller

A gasoline generator with an 18 wheeler's muffler (to cut down the $#!!#%# noise) might be a solution.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

My original calulations would be valid for 50ft.. I see Mark Hopkins link agrees. Very handy calculater by the way.

John, in Minnesota

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 02:13:37 GMT, "stoutman" wrotg:

Reply to
John