ExtensionCordGauge

John, you're doing DC calculations. You can't use simple ohm's law for AC calculations.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Ten years ago I built a 6,000 sq. ft. building using a 120 volt, 1.5 HP contractor's saw. I used a 12 gauge Romex, 250' extension cord. It didn't melt. I am still using the same saw/motor. Not a recommendation, just a true anecdote.

Reply to
bole2cant

On 13 Dec 2003 01:03:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) scribbled

I use bright yellow for 220 cords, other colours (colors, Keith) for

110.

Luigi Zanasi

I went through 24 notes and nobody asked what his line voltage was at the house. Mine cruises at around 126 from FPL and I can afford to lose some volts in a cord. If it is 110 you are already in trouble.

Reply to
Greg

When I built my shop, I used a 50' and a 100' 10 gauge extension cord set to run 110 volt to my tools, including a table saw rated at 12 amps (Delta contractor's model). No problems with cord or saw. That was about 7 years ago, at least when I started.

Charlie Self

"In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy as a prisoner's chains." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Charlie Self

But are these rated for use outside the house (house with a long "O" Luigi)?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

not sure what you're trying to do here, but it won't work ; ^ )

if you're trying to make 220V it won't work because the two receptacles on the standard dual outlet are just connected together inside the wall. to get 220 you need to get power from both left and right sides of the meter panel

if you're trying to get more amps from the standard dual outlet it won't work because again the dual receptacle is coming from one circuit.

if you're trying to beat the voltage drop of your light weight cord it theoretically would work. don't do it... better, cheaper and less chance for dumb accidents to just go out and buy yourself a commercial extension cord. if you need more than 50 feet but less than 100 get a set of ends while you're at it and cut the extra off and make a short heavy cord with a gang box on the female end. they come in handy. Bridger

Reply to
nospam

If the cord is warm to the touch, it's gauge is too fine.

#10 wire extension would work, but it may be a bit stiff. If you are consistently in need of the 100' cord, consider putting in a separate outlet for the saw. A 20 amp circuit would work.

George E. Cawthon