exotic gloat

8/4 x 10" wide x 10 feet long azobe - a west African hardwood used primarily for railroad ties and bridge tressles. The price: $5 per board. According to my Mr. Math calculator, that's 30 cents a board foot.
Azobe is nearly 160% harder and 50% heavier than red oak. Each board weighs over 100 lbs. I took 5 boards home and groaned the whole time loading and unloading. He still has 500 board feet left. I have no idea what I'm going to do with this stuff, but I'm going to mill some down tomorrow and play with it. It's probably hell on planer blades.
Bob
bob wrote:

Oh great vacuumous one, how do I run into these guys?
er
--
email not valid

It's a little two man sawmill operation near Birmingham, AL

bob wrote:

O thou who sucketh unremittingly, thank you for thine answer. It is said, "ask and ye shall receive" and, indeed, it hath all the appearance of being so--but! It is also said "give a man a fish and he will eat, but teach a man how to fish and he will never go hungry again". For this fish, O great lignin tornado, I am thankful. Thou hast given me a fish, placed some 2000 miles removed from my hearth.
But I will read what I can from the entrails of this fish, and go out, and seek me a sawmill operation in the waste, yea verily, in the deserts of Southern Upper California as it is called (but in another language, not Aramaic, not Greek, not Latin, but sort of like Latin, yea, derived from Latin, etc.) and bring with me a whiske broom, knife, and sixe packe.

<schnibble>
er
--
email not valid

if machined when dry" Can't imagine what I would do with them, but at $5 each I would buy a bunch; got to be good for something. You suck, a little.
Yea, you sucketh. If your find is anywhere near like the Jatoba I recently acquired, your machines will be groaning just like you were carrying the stuff around! --dave

bob wrote:

http://www.azobe.com/physical.html
I know azobe as bongossi, which was the wood used for the decking of Pier 17 at the South Street Seaport in NYC. The stuff also doesn't burn (support combustion), is heavier than water and is high in silica content, so it dulls the crap out of your cutting tools. When it was installed they drilled holes at opposing angles and drove in stainless steel rod to fasten the decking to the sleeper system.
It's your basic forever wood, so I'd think that outdoor tables, arbors, benches and chairs would be perfect for it. At that price you could buy his whole lot and resell the excess for decking. You'd make a good profit.
Watch the dust from "any" exotic. I bought a load of cheap wood a few years back and found that the dust was VERY nasty. (tali/missanda)
A good many of the African woods have some really nasty features.